Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Trane Gas Furnace multiple tries to ignite fail - mystery

I have a Trane gas furnace - about 22 years old or so - with a honeywell S8910u universal hot suface ingition module installed about 4 years ago (by a professional, not me). Not sure if this matters, but I see it has a yellow (B) tab that says 3 tries. The HSI is a new Honeywell universal glowfly installed about 3 months ago.

Ok, here is the problem. This afternoon, I happened to be near the furnace when I heard the call for heat ( and I know the usual sequence very well) - I seen the igniter glow orange for about 30 seconds - then seen it just shut off as the gas would not click and turn on. I did not hear the gas try to click on at all - I then waited (after a min or so)for the next try - and again the igniter will glow red/orange like usual - for 30 sec - stays bright- and then no gas clicks on -as the glow fades from igniter as it shuts off.

This went on for 4 tries , which I thought would only have 3 tries fail before lockout - I was surprised to see it keep trying beyond that. Also - while it was going thru this sequence- the green light on the ignition module is green with a pulse, which says is normal operation.

This is what I did and have no idea if this was just a coincidence - I "reset" the draft sensor button (natural draft, no motorized) and then the next sequence -I think the 4 or 5th try - the gas ignited as it normaly does and the furnace worked as normal.

After the heat call was done - I shut off power to the furnace for about 5 min -and then turned it back on. I went to call for more heat - and the normal sequence of igniter glow - click for gas - ignite - heat - blower- turn off all worked fine as I tried 2 more times.

My question is - if this turns out not to be a real fix and happens again (like if the furnace is real cold for hours and tries to start) - what should I check for - I have a multimeter - I just want to get ahead of this and be prepared to do something as I dont want to wait for it to fail and never turn on during a cold snap.

Any help on what could cause this issue I described -is greatly appreciated

ea0680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Check if the gas valve is getting 24 volts while the hot surface ignitor is glowing. If it is then you check if there's gas flowing.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,758

If you reset the spill switch. Check the chimney for problems.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the help. I did check the voltage at the gas valve- I am not sure I did it right however- I followed the wire that from the "valve" line on the ignition module to the valve, and the "valve ground" line to the valve. When the igniter started to glow - I had the multimeter set to volts on both points on valve -and the volts I think was something like 6 or .06 -then once the time came for gas ( after 30 secs of igniter warm up) the meter flashed "OL" quickly -gas came out and ignited like usual and immeditiatly the meter said and maintained 27 volts.

So - there was not voltage at the valve prior to the call for gas , then there was voltage after gas was flowing and burning.

As for as the spill switch, all I did was press the button in, it did not feel like it tripped, there was no resistance to pushing it in or any click. I think it was coincidence about that.

So far, the furnace has been working the way it should since I turned it off and on yesterday , igniting on the 1st try and runs as normal - My question though is this - since it happened at all - the fact that it was not confidently going from igniter to gas even one time- does that mean that the ignition module - although only 4-5 years old - is going bad?

Is there a way I can further check the module with the meter to see any weak areas - if someone can help me with what to look for based on the description of the symptoms it had yesterday would be greatly appreciated -

Last edited by ea0680; 01-16-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: additional detail
ea0680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Undo your gas line at the gas valve and see if you have debris at the inlet strainer. If not check if you have a gas regulator that is malfunctioning or freezing.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,758

Post a pic of the reset you are resetting.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote