Trane Furnace Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trane Furnace Problem

Hi,

I am having an issue with my furnace staying on, I looked around the forum but my issue doesn't seem to quite match up to others. What's happening is that the pilot (I believe is a hot surface igniter, but could be wrong) lights up, then several seconds later the burners kick on without any incident. The fan then engages after another few seconds and the system will run normally for several minutes (5 minutes or so). After that, the burners will turn off and the fan will continue to run, then the igniter lights back up and again after a few seconds the burners kick on, but this time, instead of the flame shooting down the burner, it seems to almost flash (or maybe another way to explain it is that the area on the door side of the burners lights up) and then the flame shoots down the burner as normal. Following this, almost immediately, the burners shut off. This sequence of igniting, flashing and shutting off occurs 3 times before the entire system shuts down and restarts.

I didn't feel it was safe, I know some furnace problems can easily lead to carbon monoxide gas, and although we have detectors for that, I'd rather sleep in the cold for a night till I can find out what's going on.

Sorry for the long post, trying to be a specific as possible.. Please help!

Thank you!

Doug

Advertisement

Last edited by dwmilligan; 01-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
dwmilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 618

Trane Furnace Problem

Yeah!
I'd be nervous of what sounds like a bad valve.
Before you kill the power to the furnace, see if you have a flashing led light through a door grill or inspection port on the furnace that might be giving you a diagnostic code. Record it if you see it and
Then turn off that furnace!

Advertisement

Last edited by how; 01-20-2012 at 12:00 AM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #3

Trane Furnace Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Yeah!
I'd be nervous of what sounds like a bad valve.
Before you kill the power to the furnace, see if you have a flashing led light through a door grill or inspection port on the furnace that might be giving you a diagnostic code. Record it if you see it and
Then turn off that furnace!
Yes, there was a flashing red light. I'm not sure exactly how to check for codes, or even whether that's something I can do on my furnace.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Trane Furnace Problem

It sounds like a flame rollout or high temperature limit switch tripping. Check for air flow issues such as a plugged evaporator coil and return air filters.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Trane Furnace Problem

It sounds like one of those but if a rollout switch trips then the unit would not try to fire two more times.

Check the flash codes and legend, usually on the inside of the furnace doors, as How has said.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Trane Furnace Problem

need a model number......trane has a well know problem with secondary heat exchanger on 90% models............sounds like it could be one of them but not sure yet.............depends on code
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
how

Rewards Points: 618

Trane Furnace Problem

I also wondered if it is a really bad crack in the exchanger blowing the flames away form the flame sensor after a while. The furnace flame goes off and then retrys for ignition but the exchanger air is blowing back some of the burner gas. The gas that re ignites is partially outside of the burner chambers.
Like he needs more bad news.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

Trane Furnace Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
need a model number......trane has a well know problem with secondary heat exchanger on 90% models............sounds like it could be one of them but not sure yet.............depends on code
OK, so it's a Trane XR80. I was also able to pull a code off of the flashing light, code says "open high limit device". Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement