Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Trane CleanEffects cleaning?

When I had this system installed in 2012 the guys told me "never clean the collection cells with water, it will destroy them"... I've read similar things online saying the same thing...

I was told you can clean the screen pre-filter with water... wipe down the charger plate and clean the pins with a piece of Styrofoam and vacuum out the collection cell boxes

Well on Trane's very own site for the CleanEffects...

How do I clean my CleanEffects™?

To clean your CleanEffects™, simply remove your filter and then rinse or vacuum it. If you rinse the collection cells, allow them to dry thoroughly before replacing them.

Well which is it?! Can you or can you not wash the collection cells? The dry thoroughly is an obvious given as this deals with electrical parts...

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

The original collector cells could notmbe washed but as long as yours have the number 200 stamped on them you can rinse them. Make sure to shake the excess water out then if it is warm and sunny you can leave them in the sun to dry for a couple hours. Just be aware that they will never come back to white like new. I would also put them in and run the fan for a couple of hours before you turn the power back on. Unless you have a very dirty house it is easier to follow the pattern in the manual to vac them.

Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebierley For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebierley View Post
The original collector cells could notmbe washed but as long as yours have the number 200 stamped on them you can rinse them. Make sure to shake the excess water out then if it is warm and sunny you can leave them in the sun to dry for a couple hours. Just be aware that they will never come back to white like new. I would also put them in and run the fan for a couple of hours before you turn the power back on. Unless you have a very dirty house it is easier to follow the pattern in the manual to vac them.
any idea when they switched them? Mine was just put in a year ago and the tech was saying never do it.. Where's the number at? I don't seem to see any model or part numbers...

I always took them outside vacuumed them with a shop vac then blew compressed air through them and it was amazing how much dust was still in them even after vacuuming, it took forever to get them emptied out even with compressed air
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
any idea when they switched them? Mine was just put in a year ago and the tech was saying never do it.. Where's the number at? I don't seem to see any model or part numbers...

I always took them outside vacuumed them with a shop vac then blew compressed air through them and it was amazing how much dust was still in them even after vacuuming, it took forever to get them emptied out even with compressed air
They switched about 5-6 years ago with a recall of all the old ones. The numbers are embossed on the top next to the track on the cells or on the side with the handles. Yours are the new style and can be rinsed.
Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

Simply put, check for the number on your cells.
ben's plumbing (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

ah, found it now, yep they say 200 on them
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

well tried washing them out last night just to see what came out....

even with vacuuming and blowing them clean the water still ran out black ugh...

it is amazing though how these things hold water... you run water through it, it's almost like the straws trap the water...

you can pick it up full of water then shake it and boom all this water just pours out

takes forever to dry also...

shook it some to get most of the water... toweled off what I could still full of water it felt like ... ran a dehumidifier blowing really dry air over the cells and it took about 6 hours for them to dry out completely