DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Trane Carrier XL80 fan runs constantly when switch is on

7K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
I have an receptacle in the same outlet as the switch. The outlet was not powered even though it appeared to be wired correctly but the fan was working properly with the switch. My electrician wired the receptacle so it was hot but now the fan runs constantly when the switch is on and we're both stumped. Any ideas on how to wire this thing correctly?

#2 ·
Which one is it Carrier or Trane. They are diff mfgs.

I assume you are talking about the light switch that powers the furnace has a receptacle as a convenience to plug a any electric device into. Yes, no?

Just wiring the outlet out should not cause the fan to run all the time.

Is it heating the house OK? And more importantly were there more wires coming into the switch box from the furnace than just the furnace leads?

Important to know also the model number, is it a 90% or 80% furnace, how old is it?

#3 ·
Which one is it Carrier or Trane. They are diff mfgs.
The furnace is a Trane XL80. The box on top of it (I'm assuming is the fan/blower) is a Carrier.

I assume you are talking about the light switch that powers the furnace has a receptacle as a convenience to plug a any electric device into. Yes, no?
Yes, exactly.

Just wiring the outlet out should not cause the fan to run all the time.

Is it heating the house OK? And more importantly were there more wires coming into the switch box from the furnace than just the furnace leads?
The heat was working fine and the fan wasn't blowing all the time until we made the outlet hot. I have a red, black, white, and ground coming from the furnace. We have black going into the receptacle, red going into the top of the switch, white going into the bottom of the switch, and ground is on the ground screw of the switch.

Important to know also the model number, is it a 90% or 80% furnace, how old is it?
The furnace is an XL80. I don't know what 80% or 90% means. It's less than 5 years old.

#9 ·
Man that is some shabby workmanship on the wiring. Where does that copper gasline go?

take the powered lead of the incoming wire and connect to the line side of switch and run it to hot side of receptacle.

Take the neutral of the incoming wire and connect to neutral side of receptacle.

Before I can tell you how to proceed I need to know what the red white and black connect to in the furnace.

Usually it's black and white are it but i think that red is hooked into something that needs to be checked.

#10 ·
Man that is some shabby workmanship on the wiring. Where does that copper gasline go?
The previous owners decided they wanted a gas fireplace so they ran a gas line up through the ash chute into the fireplace. There was no cutoff near the fireplace, just the one in the basement that you see in the pic. When we first saw the house our real estate agent told the selling agent that not only was that illegal but likely to end tragically for all involved. What's really scary is the previous owners weren't handy enough to do it themselves so they got someone to do that for them.

Before I can tell you how to proceed I need to know what the red white and black connect to in the furnace.

Usually it's black and white are it but i think that red is hooked into something that needs to be checked.
That's the problem, I don't know what it's for and the schematics and whatnot for the furnace are well beyond me.

I wired it back to how it was originally so the switch works correctly but the receptacle is cold. The black (power) goes into the bottom of the switch, the black (furnace) goes into the top of the switch, the neutral (power) goes into the top left side of the receptacle, the white (furnace) goes into the bottom left side of the receptacle, and the red (furnace) goes into the right top side of the receptacle.

#14 ·
Then it was wired right before your electrician touched it.
And if he rewired it back to the original way, its correct again.

Its only suppose to be hot when the blower runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.