Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Trane Aux heat modification

Hi, looking for some advice here. Has anyone ever done what is posted below to reduce their electric usage? I have two breakers. 60 amp and 30 amp. Not sure which to turn off after swapping these wires from W1 and W2

Trane electric heat modification that will save you lots of $$$...

If you have a larger Trane heat pump with 2 sets of circuit breakers for the electric heat then consider making this minor modification that could save you lots of money. On the indoor unit there are 2 electric heat channels (inputs) W1 and W2. W1 is on the first circuit breaker with the fan and controls and W2 is on the second one and stands alone. Move the black wires (X2) to W1 and the white wires (W1) to W2 and power down that circuit breaker, remove any jumpers that may connect both inputs. This simple modification will give you emergency heat and defrost heat but allow the heat pump alone to heat the house without the benefit (or cost) of auxiliary heat.

If the weather gets too cold for the system to keep up then you can close the second circuit breaker. This mod works on other brands of equipment with a similar configuration[/I]. [/B][/COLOR]

tj1mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #2

If you live in a mild enough climate this may work for you. Provided you are comfortable with the electrical aspects of this mod. The whole idea behind aux. heat is to help a Heat pump that is falling behind. Meaning at 1* difference between the desired temp and the actual temp the heat pump comes on. If it struggles to keep up at all you get 2* difference. At 3 or 4* difference on most systems your aux. heat should kick on. If not you continue to fall behind. So like I said, if you live in a mild climate this might work. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope I helped.

mercdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Your idea is ok.

But you can just get a good thermostat that has an outdoor sensor. That you can program not to use the aux heat, until it gets too cold for the heat pump to keep up. And stages in the aux heat only as needed.

Don't have to alter wiring that way. And have full heat when needed without going to the panel box.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote