Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

Trane Air Handler (2 Questions)

Morning everyone,

I have two questions. I hope ya'll can help.

I work on a work boat. Most of the time I'm offshore and unable to get a professional HVAC or electrician on the boat. I end up doing most of the repairs myself but sometimes find gaps in my knowledge.

My third level has a 3.5T Trane condenser with Trane air handler. We leave the blower running full time as the air up here gets stuffy and hot real quick. I know I've replaced the blower motor once before.

The problem I'm having is the fan blower, at random times, starts slowing down and speeding up. I do not know what causes it or why it stops. It happens all times of the day and night. Sometimes we can turn the unit off for 1/2 hour and it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've already replaced the motor, capacitor, thermostat, and checked the main voltage in. I'm thinking it might be the control board. Any reason to think different?

My second question involves the motor itself. The old motor had a full complement of wires that were easy to figure out. It had the two browns for the capacitor, four for rotation, and the lines for power and speed.

The new motor only had two wires coming off it and three spades directly on the motor for the speed. It took a little while to figure out the correct rotation and wiring.

I want to order a new motor for a spare as 2 of my 3 units use the same motor. I do not want the same motor I just installed. That was a lot of headache. If I were to call Grainger, what would I tell them to differentiate between the two motors? The current specs I can tell you are 1/2hp, direct drive 230v, 1075 RPM.

I appreciate any help ya'll can throw my way.

Thanks,
Tim

myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by myowneq View Post
The problem I'm having is the fan blower, at random times, starts slowing down and speeding up.

Sometimes we can turn the unit off for 1/2 hour and it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've already replaced the motor, capacitor, thermostat, and checked the main voltage in.
How do you check the voltage in?
How reliable and consistent is your electrical generator?
(it's the weak link)

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

Both generators are Caterpillar C6 engine with a 99kw generator and less than two years old. They're quite reliable as long as they have clean fuel. I thought of that also, but while the a/c unit is acting up, nothing is else is affected. Not the UPS for the computer, incandescent bulbs, the crane radiator fans. All that would show similar signs if it was the gensets.

Also, the problem occurs on both generators.

As for the voltage, I checked across the three big fuses in the handler. Put my probes against 2 / 3 fuses in all combinations and get 480 there. Also checked on the two lines coming out of the big transformer. Steady power there. Same with the smaller transformer. 26 steady volts there. Granted, all that was done when the problem wasn't occurring.
myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Get a new motor through a Trane dealer. It should be the same as the old motor then.