Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trane 1100XE tripping circuit breaker

We have a Trane 1100XE heat pump about 7-8 years old. We have just turned on the heat mode this year and the system has tripped our circuit breaker three times so far. The last within 5 minutes of resetting the breaker. Any idea as to why this happening?

lmhouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Trane 1100XE tripping circuit breaker

Could be a number of things but those HP's were noted for the crankcase heaters shorting to the compressor case. The CCH is located in a sleeve just below where the power wires connect to the compressor. Over time corrosion causes the CCH to short out to the compressor. If you look at the wiring diagram you will see where the CCH and discharge line thermostat are wired in series and connected to the contactor. If you are comfortable with it you could disconnect the CCH at the contactor and reset the breaker to see if the unit will run. Of course, make sure ALL power is turned off before opening the unit. There should be a 240 volt disconnect on the wall near the outside condenser and you should also turn off the power to the furnace to kill the low voltage. This failure happened to me twice over the years I had my Trane HP but I was able to diagnose and repair the problem myself. If you are not experienced with working around high voltage then you should call a Pro for service.

kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote