This Is A Tough One: Ignitor Never Powered - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

This is a tough one: ignitor never powered

I've been working on this problem for a couple of weeks now. I'm hoping someone can help me (it's been very cold here lately :-))
- System
Make: Comformaker
Model: N8MPN075B12A1 (manufactured in May 2003)
Time of use: less than 4.5 years
Gas valve: Honeywell SV9541
Control board: ST9160B-1084
-Measurements:
Igntor resistance: 4 ohms
Pressure switch resistance (when closed): ~ 0.2 ohms
Voltage on flame sensor: ~105VAC (drops to 98VAC when I hear a click - probably the pilot valve opening);
Voltage accross the limit and roll-out switches: 0VAC
Green light: constant heart-beat
1/2 wave rectified: ~15VAC
Power from control board: ~24VAC
All measurements matched the spec;
- Problem
1. I turn on the furnace (through the main power switch) and the combustion blower starts to run (I've set up the thermostat to call for heat). The pressure switch is initally open (~12VCAC accross its terminals);
2. Pressure switch closes (0VAC accross its terminals);
3. I hear a click (probably the pilot valve opening);
4. The voltage on the return side of the igntor stays at ~24VAC (indicating that it's not been powered. It should be around 1VAC when powered). The voltage on the supply side is ~24VAC;
5. This cycle repeats about every 30 seconds;
6. Sometimes, the ignotor does come on and everything works fine. After a while (~24 hours- heater on and off), it stops working again;
7. The gas valve was recently replaced for a brand new one;
8. I had a serviceman come in and he said the control board was bad (wasn't supplying proper voltage). However, based on my measurements, the control board seems to be working just fine;
Any ideas?

Advertisement

RookieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Are you a service mechanic? If not then I would have them change the board they claim to be bad. THEY HAVE TO GUARANTEE the fix, if furnace still doesnt work THEY have married it and have the responsibility to make it work.

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #3

Rookieguy, did you find a solution for your problem. I am having the same issues with my smart valve. and am getting the exact same measurements.
macren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #4

Hello Rookieguy,
I'm seeing a similar problem with my RUUD furnace. The induction fan kicks on for ten or twenty seconds, then the gas starts to hiss, but the ignitor won't glow. I removed the ignitor, tapped it with a screwdriver tip, put it back in and now it works. This happened several days ago, too, and seemed to just fix itself. A new ignitor is only ~$25, but it's such a simple device it's hard to believe it could work sometimes but not other times...

Did you determine a cause?

Thanks,
Ed
scene24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Union HVAC Tech.

If the pressure switch is making and the igniter isn't getting power (120 vac) the board is bad.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM   #6

Hello BigMikeB,

So, I can check to see if the ignitor is receiving 120v, even when it doesn't heat up. How to test if the pressure switch is working (and it looks like I have 3 pressure switches...)?

Thanks for the advice!

Ed
scene24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Union HVAC Tech.

To check a pressure switch you need to look closely and see what terminals the wires are on. There are usually two wires on them but there can be three. The terminals are "C", "NC" and "NO". C and NO will close when the fan is on, where as C and NC will open when the fan is on.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #8

The problem was with my valve. This was the 2nd time in 2 years I had to replace the smart valve. I think they need to re-think this model, $160 is to much to pay every
year!

macren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
Union HVAC Tech.

How old is your furnace?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #10

I have some related problem with new furnace. I just installed furnace with SV9541 valve on it. At start up venter fan runs for 5 minutes then shuts off. Diagnostic light changes from heartbeat to 6+1 flashes. I do hear 2 different types of clicks at start up and smell some gas but no light up of pilot and don't see any ignitor glow up. I took ignitor out to check and tip is damged but not sure if it was like that or I damaged it taking it out. I tried to measure voltage for ignitor by starting the furnace and could not notice any voltage at ignitor connection pins. Tried few times and same problem. Furnace is Tempstar I purchased over eBay. I can not figure out if this is ignitor problem or valve also. Any help out there? Thanks.
sidneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Union HVAC Tech.

Better get ebay customer service out there to do a warranty repair.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #12

Thanks bigmikeb. I called the vendor who sold it and he has shipped a valve and ignitor. hope it will work after i replace those.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #13

I have another question. This furnace I purchased is new and is designed for up flow but is multiposition type. I needed down flow position. Only problem for down flow is that the vent fan can only rotate 90 degree and directs the air flow to the sides instead of straight up, which means I had to run vent pipe up on the outside of furnace same side where gas pipe is. I never thought flue vent will be to the side instead of from top. would this be a concern if vent is on side near the floor and goes up close to outside of furnace? I am not familiar with code on this.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
LASeaCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieGuy View Post
I've been working on this problem for a couple of weeks now. I'm hoping someone can help me (it's been very cold here lately :-))
- System
Make: Comformaker
Model: N8MPN075B12A1 (manufactured in May 2003)
Time of use: less than 4.5 years
Gas valve: Honeywell SV9541
Control board: ST9160B-1084
-Measurements:
Igntor resistance: 4 ohms
Pressure switch resistance (when closed): ~ 0.2 ohms
Voltage on flame sensor: ~105VAC (drops to 98VAC when I hear a click - probably the pilot valve opening);
Voltage accross the limit and roll-out switches: 0VAC
Green light: constant heart-beat
1/2 wave rectified: ~15VAC
Power from control board: ~24VAC
All measurements matched the spec;
- Problem
1. I turn on the furnace (through the main power switch) and the combustion blower starts to run (I've set up the thermostat to call for heat). The pressure switch is initally open (~12VCAC accross its terminals);
2. Pressure switch closes (0VAC accross its terminals);
3. I hear a click (probably the pilot valve opening);
4. The voltage on the return side of the igntor stays at ~24VAC (indicating that it's not been powered. It should be around 1VAC when powered). The voltage on the supply side is ~24VAC;
5. This cycle repeats about every 30 seconds;
6. Sometimes, the ignotor does come on and everything works fine. After a while (~24 hours- heater on and off), it stops working again;
7. The gas valve was recently replaced for a brand new one;
8. I had a serviceman come in and he said the control board was bad (wasn't supplying proper voltage). However, based on my measurements, the control board seems to be working just fine;
Any ideas?
Same as above up to step #1. My combustion blower does not activate and the green light on the valve simply starts to blink? Does the blower hold out the valve or vice versa? I'm thinking that I have a circuit board problem?

Help!!
LASeaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASeaCat View Post
Same as above up to step #1. My combustion blower does not activate and the green light on the valve simply starts to blink? Does the blower hold out the valve or vice versa? I'm thinking that I have a circuit board problem?

Help!!

yes the comb. blower will prevent anything from going any farther(pressure sw.) read for 120 volt at blower if you got it blr is is bad

Advertisement

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote