Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Is this too much?

I have a heating contractor(friend of a friend) that is charging me $1,000.00 for labor and $700.00 in parts, to change the entire one piping system in my house. I have to relocate some radiators due to the construction, and at the same time I get to move the 2 inc pipe that runs almost in the middle of my basement ceiling , closer to the wall.
Pipes are 75 years old, and I have to remove all the old pipes myself, before he starts. Be honest guys!!!!
Thanks

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

Is this too much?

That sounds like a steal to me. Cutting and threading up black iron pipe is very labor intensive, and steel is at a historic high price. Pay it and tell everyone what a bargain you got... no kidding.

mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #3

Is this too much?

Yes a steal.

I love my steam system but If I was going to redo all the pipes I'd be thinking about hot water. One advantage is that if you are thinking of using the basement for living space you can put radiation down there which you really can't with steam. And zone heat with hot water.

Did you ask your guy about any advantage to a 2 pipe system?? That is what i have. I use steam traps instead of bleaders.

I think forced air is more efficient then either steam or hot water and your ac can run through it if your in a warmer climate.

Just throwing some ideas around.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Is this too much?

Are you sure this is a steal? I know its alot of work, but I thought it was alot.. Yes I was also thinking of baseboard, but I have a few friends that have it in there homes, and they are using electric heaters to keep there house warm. They say by time the water gets to the last room, there is no heat, and the first room is always boiling hot.
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
World famous jerk.

Is this too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Are you sure this is a steal? I know its alot of work, but I thought it was alot.
Compared to what? The number you had in your head that you pulled out of the sky? No, you're getting a genuine bargain.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Is this too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Are you sure this is a steal? I know its alot of work, but I thought it was alot.. Yes I was also thinking of baseboard, but I have a few friends that have it in there homes, and they are using electric heaters to keep there house warm. They say by time the water gets to the last room, there is no heat, and the first room is always boiling hot.

If your friends have copper fin baseboard and there cold in the winter is one of three things. Either not enough insulation or boiler is to small or they need to increase the water temp. going through the baseboard. Tell them to check the water temp first. Mine is set at 160 degrees. This is simple to do. On my boiler if i lift off the front there is a box. There are two steal dials in it. One says limit then other says circulator. Under both is the adjustment screw. Its as simple as turning it to 160 but the limit will need to come up if under 160 so mine is set at 180. So thats circulator 160 limit 180. Circulator just means once the water reaching 160 the circulator pump will engage.

Last edited by 747; 10-06-2006 at 09:44 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote