Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

It is that time of year again

I do not always agree with everything This Old house does or say, but they do bring up some good points about one of the most expensive investments for a home http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...3-fall-furnace

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

You're in the business and all of that Boston Crap they preach may make sense to you but to me that idea is a lot like the mandatory every-3000-mile-oil-change. You know those "This Old House" boys (and I use the term loosley) are all on the take don't you?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

I know the feeling also with the TOH boys. As a homeowner, I realized after I woke up from watching them all the time in the 90's, when I owned a trailer, how overboard or out of scope on some of the projects. I find on here, you get a lot better tips and correct information, than the boards on their site.

I did finally fire up the furnace yesterday to make sure it cycled on heat, since I have the new thermostat. I will not know how good it will be with the settings for swing (1.5) and diff (2.0) that I have it set for on for the ct-50, until I can run it a couple of cycles.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

Bud, I'm not in the Boston area, but I can tell you that in most cases on an annual clean and service call I can prevent problems in the future by just cleaning the equipment. Also, why wouldn't you maintain your hvac equipment? DO you know how much replacement systems are?! Often they are as much as a good used car. Why not spend a little bit of money in preventative maintenance instead of prematurely having to replace your hvac system because you never had it maintained. How would you know that your heat exchanger in furnace may be cracked if it was not serviced professionally? Just because a heat exchanger is cracked doesn't mean it will leak CO. And today's CO alarms are so dumbed down in order to be UL listed to keep from having "false alarms" you may not know the furnace was leaking CO even if you had a CO alarm. Often a good tech can even let you know what is getting ready to fail such as an ignitor before it actually does, so you can either plan to have it replaced or take care of it while the tech is out alleviating a future service call. Just my 2 cents, but I do believe in PREVENTATIVE maintenance.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

So, Bud and hvactech what is your consensus on pulling the blower motor and getting the dust off of the fins. After 6 years of running, with 1 so far for a/c full time so far, and looking at it just now, it does look like the fins could use a good cleaning, due to the layer of dust on them. Other than that, there are just a few cobwebs in the lower section of our Lennox.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

My HVAC system consists of electric heat in the ceiling of every room and three window air conditioners. The only squirrel cage I'm familiar with is the one I live in with my wife and son.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

What suggestions do you guys have for maintaining an electric forced air furnace?
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Same on any unit. If you get a good tech burnt, they will check the electric heating elements, and measure for proper resistance. If the unit is old, they may suggest new elements if they are available. I listen for any squeaks and other unusual sounds, smells, and look it over at least once every month when I pull the filter. The user manual is the best reference for maintenance on the unit.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
REP

Rewards Points: 500

There is a huge differance between oil fired and gas fired equipment.
There is no such thing as a "clean" oil fired heating unit.
With oil,everything needs to be vacuumed out and cleaned.New filters and nozzle AND setting it up with instraments is needed unless you don't care about effiency.Nobody and I mean NOBODY can set and oil burner by eye.Trying to do so will cost you hundreds every year.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

Agreed Rep...

@gregzoll - The blower, unless really caked with debris, should be ok. If you have a lot of dirt buildup on the wheel then your filtration system is not working or you have leaks in the blower compartment.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

When I took it out to clean it, it appeared to be dust we raised, when remodeling the bath, and taking down a wall last Summer, between the Kitchen and Dining room. I had flashbacks when I was getting the dust off of the fins.