Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Retired from the grind

Share |

Time to play how much your electric use was for Feb.

I just got my bill for Feb. We used 1129kWh, for a grand total of $131.24. Our Natural Gas use was 118 Therms (Estimated) for the period of 1/25 to 2/25, for a total of $101.46. But due to having Budget billing, only paying Ameren $57 for NG.

Thermostat was kept at 69 f during the day, 66-67 at night, depending on how cold it would be that night. We had to supplement with a portable electric heater in the Living Room, and run a portable Electric Radiant Baseboard in the Basement for 2 weeks, due to having sub zero temps at night, and Basement temps were getting into the low 40's, which also caused the living area above (Single Story), to have cold floors.

If I did not run the extra heat, I would have had to crank the furnace up to 72 all the time, to keep up with the Cold Basement causing the upstairs to become too cold.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:53 AM   #2

Sorry, cant help myself!!

All electric home with solar hot water with 4 living here (us and our 2 kids). Last month the electric bill was $34.06. basically the heat was off for the whole month!!! August's bill will be a whole different story!!!!

Bob in Phoenix AZ

bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinphx View Post

Bob in Phoenix AZ
You could have tried............ I tried to laugh but nothin' came out, probably some Polar Vortex related malady
ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatDaveGuy For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-21-2014), gregzoll (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinphx View Post

All electric home with solar hot water with 4 living here (us and our 2 kids). Last month the electric bill was $34.06. basically the heat was off for the whole month!!! August's bill will be a whole different story!!!!

Bob in Phoenix AZ
Phoenix?
Come to Winnipeg (Canada), and we'll see how well that solar hot water system works.

My electric bill for January: $441.82. That includes heat and a hot tub (I don't use gas). About a 1400 sq foot house
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

Mine was 90.00 for electric, 95.00 for gas, and 106.00 for delivery fee. For a total of 291.00. Location is upstate NY (tax vampire state) with National Greed (I mean National Grid) as service provider. Last year for feb. it was 195.00 total. This was an extremely cold and snowy winter here this year.

Gregg, we noticed a big improvement when we had a wood stove installed in our basement about 5 years ago which helps out tremendously keeping our wood floors and house nice and warm. It won't heat the entire house as we have a hundred year old, one and half story bungalo, however, the first floor is nice and toasty on those below zero nights. Floor registers were already there, just replaced them with new ones. Must have been what they did back in the day. Idk. You might want to look into one for yourself. That way you and the wife won't be so cold. Around here a cord of dry wood runs about 200 delivered, 175 if you pick it up yourself. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by jmon; 03-21-2014 at 10:58 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (03-23-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

KWH used tells the real story.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

We used about 400 kWh in Feb, for a total of $76.07. That's just electricity, not hot water or heat except a few rarely used supplemental standalone heaters (bathroom and bedroom).

Heat is oil (no LNG in our area) so I coudln't really say how much of it we used since it's not filled / calculated on a monthly basis, but I'm sure it was a lot. A typical winter costs around 1800-2200 dollars in heating oil (including hot water). New and efficient boiler, but very drafty old house
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Phoenix?
Come to Winnipeg (Canada), and we'll see how well that solar hot water system works.

My electric bill for January: $441.82. That includes heat and a hot tub (I don't use gas). About a 1400 sq foot house
Bob that's actually not bad considering the kick a$$ winter we've had and you have electric heat.
You are in the "The Peg" after all
When I bought my house 5 years ago it was also electric forced furnace and an old relic of a propane fireplace. The propane bill was at least 150. that January and the electric was around 500. House 1900 sq ft.

That same year in Feb I topped up the insulation to R40 and the bill was cut in half the next day ( we can track our usage with Ontario hydro online)

Since then new windows and doors and a 95% efficient gas furnace. No propane.
Feb bill was around 130 for each electric and gas
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

My brother & I were talking about that exact thing, with his bill. He came out about the same as you & I did, when you add both gas & electric together.

I am paying the same per kWh if you break it down, as you guys are on the National Grid. I have no choice but to use the city owned utility for Electric.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #10

Well........our Electric was $220 and our gas was $155 ...Ouch

The kid was mining for crypto currency so he's paying about $45 of the electric.

I keep the house around 73f as I'm getting a little long in the tooth and I like my comfort ...dad nab it !!

I heat the garage to 50-55f also...basement also to a degree.

As long as I never retire all is good.

If his currency ever gets past a fraction of a penny we're all filthy rich.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #11

My Gas was $78 and Electricity $89. Not too bad actually. I have a new high efficiency furnace and each year I get my house a little tighter and/or better insulated.

I agree that Bob is doing pretty good at $441 for electric heat in Winnipeg. I was just reading in the paper about a couple down here in the banana belt, that are paying just over $1000/month to heat their house electrically.

1370 sq ft plus basement, 1994 construction, 71 degrees F

Last edited by SPS-1; 03-21-2014 at 04:24 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

400 for gas and electric.

2200 square foot 3 story 108 year old Colonial with a hot tub in Eastern Pa. Multiple stretches of single digit temps.

There is a bit of a debate about whether high efficiency systems are a waste of money for older homes. Well, my neighbor with pretty much the same house as mine but with a way older HVAC system paid over 600 per month. So I am fairly certain that my energy savings will recoup the extra cost of my system in only a few years, 108 year old uninsulated plaster walls and all.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
JOATMON

My electric was around $60.....and the highest my gas got was $65.

This is about the same as last year.....except this year we opened up the wall to join the two half's of the house together....so now I have a little over twice the sq footage as last year (about 2100 sq ft)

So I guess that insulation is doing it's job.

Now if I can only get the wife and kids to figure out what the off switch is.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
DH558 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #14

Add: 1900 sq ft plus 3 rooms in the basement that are toasty warm in the winter and nice and cool in the summer
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
AKA HVACTECHFW

3,100 sqft home 2012 energy star qualified new construction spray foam and batting insulation on exterior walls.

$104 Gas @ 128 CCF and $158 Electric @ 1,485 Kwh

95% 2 stage variable speed 80,000 BTU NG furnace & 19 seer, 10 hspf 2 stage 3 ton heat pump with balance point set at 35F and electric water heater, and preteen daughters that do not know how to shut anything off....

68F unoccupied/sleeping 70F occupied/awake

average high was 37F and average low was 20F

Last edited by hvactech126; 03-22-2014 at 10:00 AM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote