Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Time for new condensing unit...

I have to replace my 2 ton Trane, so of course I have a few choices here and wanted to get some ideas.

1. Carrier 24ABS324, or equivalent Amana unit for a few hundred less? I would love to get another Trane but the cost is almost prohibitive.

2. Roughly what should I expect to pay for a straight swap on the side of the house, out with old, in with new, charge and leak check?

3. Of course the obligatory refrigerant question, keep the R22 (supply isn't issue for me for a few years) or take this chance to switch over?

Thanks, and all thouhgts welcome.

Eli.

ELI(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 60

We don't do pricing here as it varies greatly from area to area due to the differences in cost of living/wage rates etc. Amana makes good quality units and I would choose one before Carrier(which is also good). As long as the contractor is reputable and does a proper job you should have no problems. Get references or talk to your neighbors/friends to see who they recommend. I would go with the R410. The price of it will come down and the R22 will skyrocket. The conversion for it has lots of compatibility issues and probably costs as much as R410.

Good Luck

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 98

Call a different contractor.
You need to replace both teh outdoor unit, and the indoor unit, or at least the indoor coil. If you want teh efficiency and capacity you pay for from a new outdoor unit.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #4

You also might want to check out Lennox. Go 410A and replace the refrigerant lines and coil at the same time. No sence in doing half a job and asking for problems.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #5

Surprised to see not much love for Carrier, i've heard they were like second to Trane and was leaning that way...please educate me.

Thanks,
ELI(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote