Time For A New AC.. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Doin' work

Rewards Points: 25

Time for a New AC..

Well after my most recent electric bill, my wife and I have decided we want to start looking to replace our central A/C system. We bought the house a year ago, and had some issues with it before we moved in, but the seller took care of it then. We believe the unit is original to the house, though we aren't sure, I looked all over both parts and couldn't find any years anywhere. I don't know really anything about A/C's, we live in so cal out in the I.E. so we get HOT, the A/C has a condenser or something, not sure what it's called, outside on the patio, and another part in the garage. I was told by SoCal Edison, the unit is a 5.4 ton unit? And I read on it, that it has r22 @ 10.62 lbs.

My first question is; is this a "heat pump" style? As this also serves as our heater in the winter. And second, and most important, what should we replace it with? I'm sure this is subjective, but we are looking for the best bang for our buck. We want a good deal, but are willing to pay a bit more for something that is more efficient.

It might be worth mentioning, as of right now we do have single pane windows but also plan on replacing those within the next 12 months. The house is about 1780 sq ft, 2 stories.

I'm hesitant to have someone come out and go over it right now without some info, because it seems like everyone I've had come to look at anything has gone used car salesman on me and tried to get me to "buy today" and I don't want to right now, I want a good base of information and some unbiased opinions of people, before I make my final decision especially since it's financially, a large one. The majority of my friends rent so they aren't much help to me as far as reviews and knowledge go.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Advertisement

ariscus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Time for a New AC..

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table

You would be so much better off spending the money on the replacement windows.
Making sure the insulation is were it needs to be.
Air sealing the attic and basement or crawl space.
Sealing up around the door.
Making sure your roof is properly vented.

Do all this first and I'd bet your cost to run what you already have would go way down.
I know in my own home the light bill went down by at least 25%.
Someones going to have to know the make and serial # to tell you how old it is.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Time for a New AC..

Post brand, model number, and serial number of both the outdoor and indoor unit.

No such thing as a 5.4 ton A/C or heat pump. WAG, you have a Lennox with a model number that has a 651 in it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Doin' work

Rewards Points: 25

Time for a New AC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Post brand, model number, and serial number of both the outdoor and indoor unit.

No such thing as a 5.4 ton A/C or heat pump. WAG, you have a Lennox with a model number that has a 651 in it.
Outdoor unit has a label that says Payne, but on the tag with the model and serial at the bottom is says Carrier, not sure if these are one in the same or what? Anyways outdoor unit:
Payne/Carrier Model # 591ANX060000AAAA Serial # 5089E20774

And the unit in the garage says Payne, and I saw some sticker that said 1987 on it.
Model # 394JAW060080 Serial # 4189A19393.

In regards to the insulating windows and doors etc. that is definitely on the to-do list. Once this heat dies down a bit I want to get back into the attic and look at the ducting to make sure it's insulated properly. I'd also like to eventually put in some attic vents but I have a tile roof and am not sure how to go about installing them, but that's for another thread.

Is the general feeling that the windows/doors, insulation, would be a better investment right now than a new A/C even given the age of the units?
ariscus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,594

Time for a New AC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariscus99 View Post
Outdoor unit has a label that says Payne, but on the tag with the model and serial at the bottom is says Carrier, not sure if these are one in the same or what? Anyways outdoor unit:
Payne/Carrier Model # 591ANX060000AAAA Serial # 5089E20774

And the unit in the garage says Payne, and I saw some sticker that said 1987 on it.
Model # 394JAW060080 Serial # 4189A19393.

In regards to the insulating windows and doors etc. that is definitely on the to-do list. Once this heat dies down a bit I want to get back into the attic and look at the ducting to make sure it's insulated properly. I'd also like to eventually put in some attic vents but I have a tile roof and am not sure how to go about installing them, but that's for another thread.

Is the general feeling that the windows/doors, insulation, would be a better investment right now than a new A/C even given the age of the units?
payne is a carrier product..
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

Time for a New AC..

Its a 5 ton unit. Condenser was made 50 week of 89, air handler 41 week of 89.

Yes, its better to improve the home first, there by educing the size of A/c you need. Which saves you more money then just getting a new same size A/c.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,594

Time for a New AC..

make needed changes to home to improve effiency for heat and cool load will be able to save on size of unit needed after improvements ..and do load calculation....

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote