Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thru wall vent question

I installed a high efficiency gas furnace in the basement and vented through a former window - rather than through a very thick 100yr old foundation. Well, human critters pushed the vent back into the basement and used the hole as a lever to break the wood that boarded up the window and gain access into the house. I could swear I have seen a cover for this type of vent that looks a lot like a catchers face mask, but I cannot for the life of me find it now. Has anyone seen anything like what I am describing. It is getting cold here and I need to get the vent installed again so I can heat the house. Thank you.

phillyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thru wall vent question

That vent should never have been run in that manner. There is a 2x8 plate on top of the foundation that can be cut with a hole saw.

The vent is supposed to tbe terminated with a fitting that is larger than the diameter of the vent penatration so it WON"T be pushed back in the house.

The "face mask" vent termination is for gas dryers, not furnaces,

Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Thru wall vent question

Hopefully this window does not go into a window well. It is not legel to terminate into a window well.
It is not legel to vent into window wells, under decks or within 4 ft of electrical or gas meters.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thru wall vent question

Perhaps I should try again with my description because based upon the comments I think I have not been clear. The house is a real brick house as opposed to a stick frame with a brick veneer. The brick is double wyth with an airspace and sits on a stone foundation. The window is at grade - not into a window well - and except that was a window is in the same plane as the foundation. The basement is about 10' and the exposed foundation is about 4'. This is a 100 year old house in the NE.

In terms of code compliance, this was installed by a master plumber and reviewed by my local inspector so I believe it to be code compliant.

That said, I would be curious to know more about the "collar" that would have been used if there was a sill plate to drill through.

Thank you.
phillyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thru wall vent question

Just assume a 2 1/4" hole thru brick or wood. Standard plumber size hole to run 2' PVC schd 40 pipe stubbecd just enough for a 90* elbow or a 2" PVC couping to fit snug against the wall. The diamerter of the coupling or elbow will be larger than the wall opening therefore disallowing it to be pushed thru again.

If you have no wood sill then take out a Small portion of brick and run the pipe thru it.

Where it is now is not good because the wood would rot out eventually because of the fumes. There is also the issue of the termination not being higher than expected snow fall.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Thru wall vent question

The basic rule is 12" above grade or normal snow level. If it is on a public sidewalk it must be 7' above grade. The next question is can the vent run vertically outside the structure. Not all manufacturers allow it as it must be certified for vertical exterior venting.

tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote