Thermostats With Fan Speed Programming? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thermostats with fan speed programming?

I've just purchased a new Goodman heat pump and Air Handler. The air handler has a ECM fan motor and the brochure says the fan speed is variable. I'm guessing with the Comfortnet thermostat which costs about 379 dollars. It is a touchscreen etc..

I am wondering if there is a plain non-touchscreen thermostat I could buy with same programming capabilities as the Comfortnet thermostats costing alot less than 379 bucks.

Does anyone have any info to share?

Appreciate the help.

Advertisement

jfls49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You will need Comfortnet thermostats (ctk01 ,ctk02, ctk03) only if you have communicating control features. You don't need these tstat if you system uses R,W,Y,G wires. The ECM motor still will be variable speed.

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

Only the Goodman communicating thermostat can control the fan speed directly. Other stats can send a signal to slow down, but not control the actual CFM.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Only my Air Handler has the Comfortnet features. My outside Heat Pump unit does not. I am trying to find a cheaper alternative to the Comfortnet "touchscreen" thermostat.

I'm also wondering what features I am missing by not having the Comfortnet communications for the heat pump unit?

Anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Only the Goodman communicating thermostat can control the fan speed directly. Other stats can send a signal to slow down, but not control the actual CFM.
jfls49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfls49 View Post
Only my Air Handler has the Comfortnet features. My outside Heat Pump unit does not. I am trying to find a cheaper alternative to the Comfortnet "touchscreen" thermostat.

I'm also wondering what features I am missing by not having the Comfortnet communications for the heat pump unit?

Anyone have any ideas?
http://hvacrdistributionbusiness.com...l-system-0504/

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

I have no experiance with the goodman communicating thermostat although the other brands I do have experiance with are worth the extra bucks do to the features they add to a system.

Advertisement

mrairflow is offline   Reply With Quote