Thermostat Won't Shut Condenser Off - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

thermostat won't shut condenser off

I removed the tstat to texture and paint and reinstalled to find the condenser now runs all the time? I've tried cleaning the contacts on the tstat and checked the wire connections but can't find what has changed.

Advertisement

jimtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 145

You must have some wires crossed. Sounds like there is 24v being applied to the Y1 contact or wire. Double check your connections and make sure you don't have a short in the wiring, look for stripped insulation somewhere around the wall if that's the only place you're done any work.

Advertisement

52Caddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Supplier

Yup sounds like you have a shorted between R and Y somewhere or miswired between them.
gsistore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

I turned on all power and switches and set the tstat to cool and fan to auto with the temp lower to make the (air handler) furnace activate and when I switch the tstat to off from cool the furnace fan shuts off but the condenser keeps running. I opened the tstat down to the wire terminals and removed the wire from Y while all were running and the furnace fan stopped. I hooked the wire back up and went out to the condenser and pulled the fuse block and checked to find the contactor was still drawn down and when I went inside to turn off the tstat and checked the contactor had released which told me it was not welded together at the contacts. I also turned everything back on and removed one of the low voltage wires from the contactor and the condenser shut off and came back on when the wire was replaced to the contactor. I'm thinking/guessing that the tstat is bad or that the wires leading from it to the furnace have a short?? This is a single speed York condenser hooked to a Rheem verticle air handler with a mechanical tstat without mercury in glass tube. I've cleaned the contacts on the tstat but no change. The low voltage wires leading to the furnace are only 7 feet long so I think I'll just get a new length and swap it out tomorrow before buying a new thermostat?
jimtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 145

If you have a multi-meter, check to see if you have 24v on the y1 terminal when it is not calling for cooling. 24v should only be present on Y1 if the stat is signaling for cooling.
Other than that, if it's only 7' long, that's a good place to start.
52Caddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

The furnace fan stopped and the AC kept running when you removed the wire from y . That means the thermostat is wired wrong. Compare the colors and their terminals at the furnace to how the thermostat is wired.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote