DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Thermostat Wiring O/B & W together?

36K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mwpaulson 
#1 ·
I just want to make sure I wired this right. I have forced heat and air, with a heat pump (ac unit outside). My heat works and ac works, both get hot and cold. Fan works, so far I'm not having any issues.

My old Thermostat was a Hunter model# 44550 and has the following connections.

W
RH - Has a bracket connecting to the RC
RC - Has a Bracket connecting to the RH
G
Y/Y1
O/B

I bought a Honeywell FocusPro 6000 TH6110D1005 from Amazon because the service man that was out here told me it's the one he uses on every home when he replaces a thermostat.

The new thermostat connections are as follows..

G
W ("O/B" below that says "For heat pump see instructions")
C
Y
R
RC

I have coming out of the wall..

Green Wire labeled G
White Wire labeled W
Yellow Wire labeled Y/Y1
Blue Wire labeled O/B
Red Wire labeled RH

So after reading the instructions and looking online I did the following,

G = Green Wire labeled G
W ("O/B" below that says "For heat pump see instructions") = White Wire labeled W & Blue Wire labeled O/B (both are in the same slot together)
C = left empty, no wire
Y = Yellow Wire labeled Y/Y1
R = Red Wire labeled RH - kept bracket
RC = Red Wire labeled RH - kept bracket

So is this correct? If not what should I fix or do to make it right?

This is the only thermostat in the house.

Thank you,
Matt

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for all your help!

Last question, it's not that cold yet here in WA State, has been raining, I have the TH6110D (wrong thermostat) hooked up and it's holding at 70F and working just fine, I should be ok till the new one arrives in a few days correct? Should I do anything with the wires in the meantime or leave it alone?

#5 ·
Ok just ordered from Amazon, (Honeywell TH6220 FocusPro 6000 5-1-1 Programmable Heat Pump Thermostat) so this should be the correct one, $64.98 not too bad.

I looked up the manual online for it and it should have the following connections.

2H/1C Heat Pump System
(TH6220D only) [8]
Rc Power
R [R+Rc joined by jumper]
Y Compressor contactor
C 24VAC common
O/B Changeover valve
G Fan relay
Aux Auxiliary heat relay
E Emergency heat relay
L Sends output when set to Em. Heat

So I'll jumper these and should be good to go correct?

Aux Auxiliary heat relay
E Emergency heat relay

#8 ·
I found a pic of the backplate.

The top says "Conventional" and bottem says "Heat Pump"

So do I have to put the wires in the slots for heat pump or can I put it through the top and tighten the screws. Does this even matter?

Sorry I am new and just want to make sure.

Thank you,
Matt

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Quick Question, got the new stat installed.

In the setup on #1 I picked option 5 "2 heat/1cool heat pump (with aux. heat)

On #2 I picked 1 "Changeover Valve (O/B terminal energized in heating) Because everything I read online says Rheem/Rudd is set this way and I have a Rheem heat pump and gas furance system.

everything else I left alone seemed like correct settings.

Is this correct? I kinda just went with the bold because it all made sense.

Also someone explain how the heat pump outside can heat the house? I'm new so I thought that unit outside was only for A/C.

Thank you,
Matt

#13 ·
Heat extraction from inside a dwelling during cooling mode let's go of that heat outside. Put your hand above the outside fan and you'll notice it's warm air. In a heat pump the refrigerant simply reverses it's flow (why you have the o/b terminal which connects to the reversing valve) and the process is reversed. The refrigerant is letting go of it's heat inside the dwelling.

#14 · (Edited)
Ohh ok, now I understand it much better. I can use the heat pump for just A/C though right and not heating if I choose not to correct?

I reconnected the TH6110 because I like the Gas heat much better, the heat pump was only blowing in luke warm air when I tested it for a few days. Gas had better heat and keeps the home warmer. The A/C though is perfect and keeps the house very cold.

#17 ·
You need to use the new stat and use emergency heat to heat with gas. Using the old stat it will not cool properly depending upon how you wired it.
It seemed to cool just fine, I put the Blue wire in C and the White in W, all others in the letters they were in. Heats great and the A/C blows nice and cold. Will the 6220 program to only use Emergency heat? Because it didn't seem like it did and I don't want that heat pump outside running all the time.

#20 ·
see my post, I edited it. Because you have rheem/ruud equipment you can wire the way you did and never notice a problem to use it as a conventional system.
I saw, took me a week of hard study to figure it all out, after calling around and getting advice.. reading this forum and everything I switched it back to the one I first bought because I figured either they labeled it wrong or I could just use the Gas as the main because it was ok to use as a conventional system..

So in the end I bought 2 thermostats, learned a ton about my system and had fun learning from my mistakes. Oh well just glad this forum is here because without it I know it would have cost me much more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.