Thermostat Wiring Assistance - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thermostat Wiring Assistance

Purchased the Honeywell YTHX9321R5003 -Prestige HD Comfort System Kit for my newly constructed home. I have replaced thermostats in the past without issue and wondering if the unit I receive is defective given its inability to turn on.

I have a Heat Only Plus Fan - Gas System - 24V Etc

I wired up the new thermostat exactly as my old thermostat:

Red Wire = R (With Jumper located in R and Rc)
White Wire = W
Green Wire = G

Wire NOT used on old thermostat > Brown, Blue, Yellow

The directions said the C (Common) can be used (not should be) and from my research it appeared the Brown wire would be the C Wire. I tried the blue wire too in the C slot > No luck!

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!
Brian

Advertisement

2SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

you should have aleast 4 wires on a staight cool system.Im not to filmilair with that stat,but there all pretty similiar,it goes r to red /green to g which is fan/white to w,which is heat/yellow to y,which is cool.as far as blue goes,its used as a common c,or sometimes b.if this is a digital stat you will need the common unless there is batteries.the batteries feed the display light,but a common can do this too and make your batteries last longer..the batteries also provide memory in case of power loss.if its not a digital and works of a mercury switch then you shouldnt need the common

Advertisement

air works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #3

The best thing to do is to look at the cirrcuit board on your furnace and you should see your thermo stat connections, for the blue and brown one is for common and the other can be used for either a heat pump or a humidifier, the best thing to do is to look at the wiring diagram on your furnace and see how it is wired.
bl19811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

if the new stat is digital with a LED screen it might need a constant 24Vs up on the subbase to power itself.color doesn't matter but choose one not used then catch the other side of the TR in the furnace,and connect it to the C on the subbase.the old stat worked on a feed back from W or G during a call to run the unit and the stat.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

2slo the extra wires you tried hooking up to the c terminal, blue and brown i think you said are likely not hooked up to anything in your furnace. thats why you had no result after trying to use those colors, chose one of the 2 colors you mentioned, usually blue for common than go to your furnace and hook up that same color at the location where the other wires are tied in. hooking it to the c term inside the furnace. this will likely solve your problems. good luck.

PLEASE AWARD ME THE DUMBASS AWARD I JUST REALISED THIS POST WAS A MONTH OLD, IM GUESSING ITS BEEN LONG FIXED

Last edited by kennzz05; 04-04-2009 at 03:05 AM.
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
2slo the extra wires you tried hooking up to the c terminal, blue and brown i think you said are likely not hooked up to anything in your furnace. thats why you had no result after trying to use those colors, chose one of the 2 colors you mentioned, usually blue for common than go to your furnace and hook up that same color at the location where the other wires are tied in. hooking it to the c term inside the furnace. this will likely solve your problems. good luck.

PLEASE AWARD ME THE DUMBASS AWARD I JUST REALISED THIS POST WAS A MONTH OLD, IM GUESSING ITS BEEN LONG FIXED
Das' ok Kenny. I do that a lot too.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #7

I'm glad you replied. I just installed my Prestige HD night before last and wasn't sure why it wasn't working. I had a pretty good idea that nothing was hooked up to the "C" terminal at the furnace, but I might not have spent the five minutes it took to verify it and fix it had I not seen your post.

Advertisement

OldCountry is offline   Reply With Quote