DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Thermostat wiring advice

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Hello

I am replacing a non-programmable thermostat with a programmable model. I am asking for advice about how to wire the new thermostat. The included instructions are not clear to me and I don’t want to damage anything by connecting it in the wrong way. I have included as much information as I thought was relevant.

My heating/cooling unit is a TRANE XR-13 2TWR3030A1000AA which is a heat pump with emergency heat. I have six wires currently connected to my Totaline thermostat:

Current setup: Totaline thermostat
S1 – no wire
S2 – no wire
O/W2/B – orange wire
R – red wire
C – blue wire
Y/Y2 – yellow wire
Y1 – no wire
G – green wire
W/W1 – white wire

I bought a programmable thermostat with the following connections: Honeywell TH6220D1028
Connector labels:
(conventional/heatpump)
No label/L
Y2/E
W2/AUX
G/G
W/O\B
C/C
Y/Y
R/R
Rc/Rc

I need help with the yellow, orange and white wires. Here are my specific wiring assumptions and questions:
Red wire from R to R/R
Blue wire from C to C/C
Green wire from G to G/G
Orange wire from O/W2/B to ???? (W2/AUX or W/O\B)
Yellow wire from Y/Y2 to ???? (Y2/E or to Y/Y)
White wire from W/W1 to ???? (W/O\B)

Thank you for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm assuming you've managed to get power to the tstat and actuate the fan so far as you've correctly mapped the R, C and G terminals.

One way to find out is hook up the old stat, break out your volt meter and map out what terminals are energized under each scenario: cool, 1st stage heat, fan only, aux heat, 1st stage w/ aux heat, etc. This may take a while to map out as some heat pump controllers and tstats won't just let you take the system from one mode to another, for example cool to heat, without some built in delay to protect the compressor.

Then hook up the new tstat with just R and C (G if you like) and run it thru these scenarios and see what terminals are active for each scenario.

It couldn't hurt to map out how you're entire system is wired from tstat, air handler to heat pump, so you can fully understand what's going on.

#3 ·
Hello

Current setup: Totaline thermostat
S1 – no wire
S2 – no wire
O/W2/B – orange wire
R – red wire
C – blue wire
Y/Y2 – yellow wire
Y1 – no wire
G – green wire
W/W1 – white wire

I need help with the yellow, orange and white wires. Here are my specific wiring assumptions and questions:
Red wire from R to R/R
Blue wire from C to C/C
Green wire from G to G/G
Orange wire from O/W2/B to ???? (W2/AUX or W/O\B)
Yellow wire from Y/Y2 to ???? (Y2/E or to Y/Y)
White wire from W/W1 to ???? (W/O\B)

Thank you for your help.
TH6220D

Red wire to R
Blue to C
Green to G
Orange to W/O,B
Yellow to Y
White to W2
Make a jumper wire, and install it from E to W2/aux.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.