Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Share |

Thermostat wiring

I need help with wiring a White Rodgers 1F85-0477 thermostat to a GMVC950704cx Goodman Gas furnace/ with AC.

Thermostat terminals---W2, W/E, 6, RH, RC, C, L, O/B, Y2, Y, G

Furnace terminals--- R, C, G, W1, W2, Y1, Y2, O, DEHUM>

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Thermostat wiring

stat to furnace....Rc to R (red) hot 24Vs... G to G (green)supply FAN... C to C (any color Blue typical)common... Y to Y1 (yellow)COOL... W1 to W(white) HEAT.NOTE fan cycle is thru the furnace heating and not the stat either on a hi limit disc and or a delay off the control module fan relay delay as spec'd by brand...shut 115 service switch before moving stat and wires around....if your solid stat on that new stat with a lit up LED that C is critical for operation....

biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

Thermostat wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
stat to furnace....Rc to R (red) hot 24Vs... G to G (green)supply FAN... C to C (any color Blue typical)common... Y to Y1 (yellow)COOL... W1 to W(white) HEAT.NOTE fan cycle is thru the furnace heating and not the stat either on a hi limit disc and or a delay off the control module fan relay delay as spec'd by brand...shut 115 service switch before moving stat and wires around....if your solid stat on that new stat with a lit up LED that C is critical for operation....
Furnace is 2 stage so W2 must connect to W2?
Thermostat has batteries do I still need C to C terminal?

Thank you
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #4

Thermostat wiring

W2 is for that second stage heat usually "black" if you have it or any spare...if the subbase has a C terminal wire it battery or not that is 24V directly to power the stat ..battery would be for back up to save the program in power failure,especially that you have the C in the furnace
Old 09-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Thermostat wiring

Quote:
W2 is for that second stage heat usually "black" if you have it or any spare...if the subbase has a C terminal wire it battery or not that is 24V directly to power the stat ..battery would be for back up to save the program in power failure,especially that you have the C in the furnace
Thanks for your help, I'll have to get a 6 wire thermostat wire.The furnace is running in the meantime,with the 5 wires hooked up.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #6

Thermostat wiring

which wire isn't connected the C or that W2...just use the Y wire for the winter (chage it at both ends)and in the spring pull a new BELL 6 might want to go 8 for whatever that other terms are?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

Thermostat wiring

Quote:
which wire isn't connected the C or that W2...just use the Y wire for the winter (chage it at both ends)and in the spring pull a new BELL 6 might want to go 8 for whatever that other terms are?
I have the W2 hooked up. thanks for the idea,since I won't need AC until next summer I'll use the Y for the C terminal. Next weekend I'll pull a new 8 wire cable which I might need in the future.
Thank again for the help.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Thermostat wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I have the W2 hooked up. thanks for the idea,since I won't need AC until next summer I'll use the Y for the C terminal. Next weekend I'll pull a new 8 wire cable which I might need in the future.
Thank again for the help.

...forget the future....hook it up when you finish pulling it and be done with it and ready for the next cooling season.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

Thermostat wiring

pulling the 8-bell wire is a friday night//saturday morning gig... if your not nailed or looped... within the wall.using the old 5 as the snake drop the power on the furnace remove the stat cut the wires pull the 5 wire out a bit tape it up to the 8 and pull from the basement having somebody feed the 8 into the wall...if you think your nailed on the 5 some place ..long piece of solid #12 wire will do..let us know how it went...at least you have W1-W2 happening for the season...
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #10

Thermostat wiring

Quote:
pulling the 8-bell wire is a friday night//saturday morning gig... if your not nailed or looped... within the wall.using the old 5 as the snake drop the power on the furnace remove the stat cut the wires pull the 5 wire out a bit tape it up to the 8 and pull from the basement having somebody feed the 8 into the wall...if you think your nailed on the 5 some place ..long piece of solid #12 wire will do..let us know how it went...at least you have W1-W2 happening for the season...
Took your advice used the old thermostat wire to pull new 8 wire. All hooked up only 2to 3 hours to do.Everything running great.Thanks for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Libero For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Thermostat wiring

IF you only have single stage A/C, then the Y2 should be used in the furnace instead of Y1.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Thermostat wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
IF you only have single stage A/C, then the Y2 should be used in the furnace instead of Y1.
The goodman wiring diagram shows thermostat Y connecting to furnace control module Y1. Then use a jumper wire to Y2 for single stage A/C.That's how I wired it,do you think this is wrong? It's too cold now during the day to test the A/C.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Thermostat wiring

As long as you have it jumper-d, its fine.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote