Thermostat Wiring - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thermostat Wiring

I have a White Rodgers Type 1F57W-314 tstat that I need to wire to my furnace/ac unit. The Tstat has the following terminals on it, Y1, Y2, R, G, W1 & W2. The furnace has the following terminals on it, C, G, R, Y, W1 & W2. The W1 & W2 terminals in the furnace/ac unit were jumpered together, I don't think they need to be? Can anyone tell me how to connect the Tstat to the furnace/ac unit?

Thanks

Advertisement

Blacktitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 590

Thermostat Wiring

It sounds like you have a 2 stage heat furnace that was set up to run with a single stage tstat. Did you old stat have just a single W and not a W1 and W2? It would help if you could post your furnace make/model. But assuming it is a 2 stage unit you would pull the W1/W2 jumper, then connect the wires on stat to furnace: Y1 to Y, W1 to W1, W2 to W2, G to G, R to R.

Or if you didn't want to run it as a 2-stage (can't imagine why you would not use the feature if you have it) you could leave the W1/W2 jumper in place and just connect W1 from the stat to the jumpered W1/W2 on the furnace.

The new stat has no C terminal so I assume that it runs off batteries.... or is not programmable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktitan View Post
I have a White Rodgers Type 1F57W-314 tstat that I need to wire to my furnace/ac unit. The Tstat has the following terminals on it, Y1, Y2, R, G, W1 & W2. The furnace has the following terminals on it, C, G, R, Y, W1 & W2. The W1 & W2 terminals in the furnace/ac unit were jumpered together, I don't think they need to be? Can anyone tell me how to connect the Tstat to the furnace/ac unit?

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by raylo32; 10-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,496

Thermostat Wiring

Terminal to terminal. If your A/C isn't 2 stage, then Y1 of the thermostat should go to Y2/Y. May also need to reset your furn ace control board to use a 2 stage heat thermostat.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thermostat Wiring

the new stat is working on a back feed not needing the C for a constant 24V at the subbase if you shut the emergency switch on the furnace you'll see batt ID come up.if the manual doesn't show a C or the base your good.many a home owner runs out gets the latest stat with a ton of digital and then they see a C call and wonder where it is from the furnace with the older one not needing it
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Thermostat Wiring

Thanks guys for the info. The Tstat is not a programable model, nor is it battery powered. I tried looking for a manual on line, and discovered it is obsolete, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
From what I have read from you guys, it looks like I only require 5 wires? What about Y2 on the Tstat?

Thanks again
Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 590

Thermostat Wiring

Y2 would be for 2-stage air conditioning condenser which the furnace board doesn't support (since it lacks a Y2 terminal) and which you surely don't have. So you don't need to connect anything to that terminal on the stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktitan View Post
Thanks guys for the info. The Tstat is not a programable model, nor is it battery powered. I tried looking for a manual on line, and discovered it is obsolete, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
From what I have read from you guys, it looks like I only require 5 wires? What about Y2 on the Tstat?

Thanks again
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,094

Thermostat Wiring

that is a mechanical stat! Go buy a digital! Also post the make and model of your furnace.

Last edited by hvactech126; 10-16-2011 at 10:28 AM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #8

Thermostat Wiring

Thanks guys,

The furnace is a Bard wall mount model #WE701-F14EPXXXJ. I have hooked it as as advised and everything seems to work even though I have not connected the "C" terminal. I agree that this is a lousy mechanical Tstat, but due to my location in the middle of Siberia, I can't run down to Home Depot and by an electronic model. LOL. Thanks for all your help!! I greatly appreciate it!

Advertisement

Tags
hvac installation , thermostat help