Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #1

Share |

Thermostat, Is there something wrong????

Hi Everyone

I have a question, I installed a new 7 day programable thermostat. I have set if for the weekend to wake up 6:00am and leave at 8:00am. It is 8:24am and the heat is still on. I am wondering if this is doing what it suppose to be doing. I don't want to be heating the entire house when nobody is home, that's why I bought it in the first place. I just checked to make sure its on am and not pm. Please help, I am getting frustrated with this whole thing. As I write this, the temperature on the thermostat lcd in house is reading 64 degrees, and I have it set to 64 degrees. Shouldn't the boiler shut off, since it has reached its temperature?? P.S. I have a steam boiler, but heat is heat.

Thanks to everyone, just want to get this over with.

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Whatamess

Are you sure you have the day set right? Just re read the instructions and reprogram, you will get it. Remember it is digital and does what it is told. Thats what makes it great.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
Hi Everyone

I have a question, I installed a new 7 day programable thermostat. I have set if for the weekend to wake up 6:00am and leave at 8:00am. It is 8:24am and the heat is still on. I am wondering if this is doing what it suppose to be doing. I don't want to be heating the entire house when nobody is home, that's why I bought it in the first place. I just checked to make sure its on am and not pm. Please help, I am getting frustrated with this whole thing. As I write this, the temperature on the thermostat lcd in house is reading 64 degrees, and I have it set to 64 degrees. Shouldn't the boiler shut off, since it has reached its temperature?? P.S. I have a steam boiler, but heat is heat.

Thanks to everyone, just want to get this over with.

Depending on how it is designed the tstat may not read exactly the temperature that is in the room while the temp is going up. My Trane//honewell tstat does that and the only reason I know is because I have a 2nd thermometer that I sit on the tstat to monitor the true temperature.
Key1
key1cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks, but I have the thermostat set up right. For some reason its just not doing what it suppose to. It reads the temp in the room, I also have another thermostat next to it to confirm. Its the 7 day thing that doesn't seem to work.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #5

Okay, thermostat is set for Saturday, Wake up 7:00am, Leave 10:00am. Return at 5:00pm (for testing purposes). It is now 1:51pm on thermostat lcd time clock. Thermostat reads inside temp 64 degrees, thermostat temp set is 64 degrees, so why is the boiler still on??? It also reads on the thermostat on the bottom, leave. So it knows that its on the leave home mode setting I put in on. My question why is it still heating the house, it should be acting as if we left? It should be off on the leave mode. Please help .....
Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Whatamess

If it is set at 64 and it is 64 depending on the cut in/out deferential it should be on.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #7

What is the swing set at? What model is it?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
jmt

If you have the leave temp set at 64 the boiler will be on to maintain that temp. If you leave for the day I suggest setting the leave temp at 55 or below. Know that if your house drops below the set temp the furnace/boiler will run.

Of course it is possible that you have a faulty stat or it is installed wrong. Double check your connections and if they are right and it's still not operting correctly, exchange it for a new one!

JMT

Last edited by jmt; 11-23-2008 at 12:29 PM.
jmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Also, you may want to look at an outdoor temp. sensor, so that instead of the boiler running at the highest water temp when it is warmer outside, it will run at a lower water temp. Also, double check the thermostat programming settings, which you need to follow the book to set properly when used with a Boiler. BTW, what is that manufacturer & model of the Thermostat in question?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Depending on the brand.
Your stat may only have a 1F differencial.
Meaning that set at 64. It will bring on the heat at 63.5 and run until it senses 64.5.
But the temp displat will not change.

It monitors temp in tenths of a degree, but only displays temp in whole degrees.

This is typical operation for most new digital thermostats.

What is your CPH set for.

There are brands, that use wider temp differences, and they will show you a temp drop, before turning on the system.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #11

Thanks to all, its working fine, I think. The 55 degrees for when I'm not home is doing it.

Thanks!