Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Thermostat Suggestions

I just replaced a broken old style spring type of thermostat with a new honeywell programmable thermostat. The problem is that the new honeywell is designed to keep the temperature swing in the house within 1 degree. My oil boiler runs for about 1 minute and then cycles off about every 15 minutes because the temp in the house dropped by 1 degree and thats all it took to bring the temp back up a little. Eventually the radiators get cold and it still keeps doing this because all it needs is a little heat to keep the temperature up.

I would rather the boiler run less often for longer so that other areas of the house that leak more heat will stay warm. I suspect the boiler efficiency is poor when it only runs for about a minute at a time. What I really need is a thermostat that you can set the temperature swing to be a few degrees. I just can't find anything at the big name stores because they all seem to carry this +-1 degree type of thermostat. Anybody have any suggestions on a good thermostat that you can set the temp swing.

Last edited by stratman977; 10-20-2009 at 09:18 AM.
stratman977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 34

Thermostat Suggestions

The more expensive Honeywell Vision Pro type have a menu of settings and you can adjust the length of cycles. Yours may have that feature. May have an adjustment for hot water, gas or electric. Set yours for hot water. Post the model # of it and we can look it up.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #3

Thermostat Suggestions

What model thermostat did you buy? Most of them have an adjustable anticipation or cycles-per-hour setting that will help with this.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #4

Thermostat Suggestions

It was the honeywell rth 7500. It was the most expensive one they had on the shelf at the local home improvement center. I have never been through a winter with hot water heat so I didn't think twice about features and that good stuff. To me it looks like they designed this one to be idiot proof and there's not much you can configure. I may be the idiot and can't figure it out though. My dad would be more than happy to give it a new home so if there's something better I should get let me know.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #5

Thermostat Suggestions

Looks like I am the idiot. I was looking in the wrong manual for the wrong thing. I'll have to wait for tonight when it cools off to see if that cycles per hour setting helps. I still would like to explicity be able to set the temp swing. My house seems to have some insulation in places and not in others. I'm working on the insulation problem a little at a time but with the cost of insulation, time and unknown problems behind 100+ year old walls, its going to take a few years. The less oil I burn the more money I will have to insulate. The house does heat up nicely when the boiler runs constantly but I'm trying not to burn a tank every month.

Last edited by stratman977; 10-21-2009 at 02:44 PM.