Thermostat Setting - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

Thermostat Setting

I live in the mid-atlantic region where it can get cold, but not deep freeze cold, except this past weekend.

During the winter, I usually set the heat at about 68F max when the family is up and maybe 65F during sleep time with portable oil filled heaters for each bedroom.

Of course, because of the cold air in our region lately (last night it was 5F), I've been setting it at 70F throughout since I don't want to have issues with frozen pipes.

What do you guys do?

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Thermostat Setting

I run my stat the same regardless of the weather (unless my wife gets cold, I lose that battle every time.) Your pipes won't freeze unless you have an air leak somewhere. 68 is still 68 whether it's 50 outside or -20. The inside temp is the same. It's mostly psychological; people have it in their minds they have to keep the house warmer when it's colder outside. It may feel more comfortable, but as I said 68 is still 68. It has been -5 the last few days here in Ohio and I don't change a thing.

Advertisement

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Thermostat Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthvac View Post
I run my stat the same regardless of the weather (unless my wife gets cold, I lose that battle every time.) Your pipes won't freeze unless you have an air leak somewhere. 68 is still 68 whether it's 50 outside or -20. The inside temp is the same. It's mostly psychological; people have it in their minds they have to keep the house warmer when it's colder outside. It may feel more comfortable, but as I said 68 is still 68. It has been -5 the last few days here in Ohio and I don't change a thing.
I see your point, but 68F is only 68F near the thermostat. The temperature is not uniform throughout the house, but I do agree that unless you lose power/gas, the pipes are unlikely to free unless you didn't shut off the water source to your hose bib.

Generally speaking, when building a house, plumbers should run all the tubing on the inside of the house, not on external walls, but they don't always. For example, in most kitchens, there is a window above the sink which means the pipes are on the outside wall. Another scenario is a bedroom with bathroom above a garage.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

Thermostat Setting

I set the temp where I am comfortable.

Some days, that 72, other days its 68.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thermostat Setting

go right for all the cold faucet and crack them to drip,turn your HWH to pilot and crack the hot the same way.water has 2 states at 32F liquid and solid and that is a big BTU jump to change that state.you would need 20MPH winds at ZERO to even start to create ice.there was a guy on one of these DIY sites who had -41F outdoor air temp(not including wind chill) up in BC Canada,and had hot water on his cold water faucets.a main cold water line froze just after the HWH and boiler going up into the house.try this test......take a saturday with it 15F-25F outside and sunny out and set your stat to the loweest it can go and see/feel how long it takes for the house to lose the heat from the last cycle up and thru 12 noon it takes at least 6 hours for the stat to even start dropping...the higher the wind are the more your house will leak the heat.pick up a cheap laser thermometer to read the windows and walls/doors
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Thermostat Setting

beenthere, I agree you set the t-stat to whatever makes you

comfortable, no argument from me. That's why I don't lose any sleep over

the t-stat when my wife bumps it up. She'e the one that's home all day.

Although, she has been turning it down more recently with the advent of

hot flashes, but that's another topic.

Advertisement

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote