Thermostat Question - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thermostat Question

This may be a silly question. Is there a way to program the fan from a split system air handler, to run XX minutes, off XX minutes, on, off, on, off for a period of 6 to 8 hours ? I know you're asking why ? I was considering a dual fuel heat pump installation. But wondered if I could get by with this set up when needed. The return for the air handler is right beside my stand alone natural gas heater. And the thermostat is going to be relocated from the hallway, to the room where the air return and heater is located. On the days/nights when the heat pump is unable to heat efficiently, I could use the heat from the stand alone, to heat the rest of the house. Without the extra expense of a gas furnace add on. And it's not likely to get very cold for a long period of time in N. Alabama. And really, my intention is to use this set up at night, when I am sleeping. I prefer the room to be cool, but not cold. Could this be a sensible option ?

Advertisement

Rusty Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Thermostat Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bob View Post
This may be a silly question. Is there a way to program the fan from a split system air handler, to run XX minutes, off XX minutes, on, off, on, off for a period of 6 to 8 hours ? I know you're asking why ? I was considering a dual fuel heat pump installation. But wondered if I could get by with this set up when needed. The return for the air handler is right beside my stand alone natural gas heater. And the thermostat is going to be relocated from the hallway, to the room where the air return and heater is located. On the days/nights when the heat pump is unable to heat efficiently, I could use the heat from the stand alone, to heat the rest of the house. Without the extra expense of a gas furnace add on. And it's not likely to get very cold for a long period of time in N. Alabama. And really, my intention is to use this set up at night, when I am sleeping. I prefer the room to be cool, but not cold. Could this be a sensible option ?
sure you can ..... time clocks ... dont understand why

Advertisement

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,096

Thermostat Question

Carmon is right, you could do it with a time clock, but I'm not sure that you will get as much heat doing it that way as what you might think you will.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Thermostat Question

Higher end thermostats have a recirc/circ feature that will run the fan for X minutes if the system has had a heat or cool cal in X minutes. This may be what you need.

Are you sure your furnace won't draw combusted fumes out of your stand alone? Is your tand alone more efficient then your gas furnace.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 180

Thermostat Question

I'd recommend a tstat with fan circulation also!

I just got an Aprilaire 8463 programable tstat which will turn the fan on after 30 minutes of inactivity. If you system goes more than 30 minutes without a normal cycle, then it will run the fan for 10 minutes in circulating the homes air.

I like the Aprilaire because it is a set time. Some models use percentages which may run the fan even if a normal cycle just ended. These type tstats can run upwards to $200.00 but you can look on Eb_y, as I got a great deal at $40.00(brand new) on mine. Very nice tstat with good options, btw.

Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 04-25-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #6

Thermostat Question

Well, like I said, it's just an idea. Instead of the extra expense of a dual fuel system, why not just go with a heat pump and recirculate the heat from the stand alone ventless gas heater ? Since I already have that, and the return air vent is situated right beside the heater. I understand this heat recirculation will not be anywhere near as warm as the dual fuel system.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Thermostat Question

Where are the ducts located at. Your basement or your attic.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Thermostat Question

Attic.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Thermostat Question

The 3m-80 from 3m Filtrete will, or the 3m-50 can with a third party software program for windows. Those two and the two Ecobee thermostats have this option.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Thermostat Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bob View Post
Attic.
May lose more heat to the attic, then you get to the other rooms then.

Advertisement