Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Thermostat is off but first run of baseboard is really hot - HELP!

We have an oil fired hot water heating system with two circulator pumps coming off the manifold. One goes to a hot water holding tank for domestic hot water, the other to the baseboard heating. They are both hot and the first run of baseboard heating is what I would call winter hot! It is the run that is closest to the circulator. It is making the house really really warm which causes the AC's to work harder.

Is this normal and what can I do to test this and or fix this? They are Taco cartridge circulators, if that helps.

lichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #2

The circulator for the heat is off? Look around for a zone velve, you probably have one that is stuck open or leaking through.

daddyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #3

i dont think we have a zone valve... i just see 2 circulators... i would imagine it would be in the same area, right?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #4

Not necessarlily. Does your system have weighted check valves? Has this happened before?
daddyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #5

I just noticed it... we have a Taco 218 Flo Check valve... I'm guessing that is what you mean? How do I fix it!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichris View Post
I just noticed it... we have a Taco 218 Flo Check valve... I'm guessing that is what you mean? How do I fix it!
That valve has a thingy on top that you can turn. Its purpose is to manually open the valve in case of a circulator failure and to achieve some thermal flow. Maybe the adjustment is partially opened. Try turning it clockwise as far as it will go to see if the adjacent pipe cools. If not, turn the other way.

If neither direction helps, then there is pribably some internal debris that is keeping the valve from closing completely. Ususlly this is a lime deposit on the valve flapper or seat. To get rid of this, the valve must be removed and cleaned. CLR works for lime deposits.

If you remove the valve, you must turn off the water supply and drain the system--isolate and drain only the heating side if possible, using the shutoff valves.
Einride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #7

Thanks for the help! I unscrewed and rescrewed the bypass on the valve last night and all seems to be working... thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
Not necessarlily. Does your system have weighted check valves? Has this happened before?
refering to flow control valves that have to be installed on any hw systen that has more than one circulator to stop circulation in the unused zone when not needed. if u have them one may be worn out or manually opened for some reason. look on the B&G website to see what they look like & get an idea how they work........Jack

psilliman001 is offline   Reply With Quote