Thermostat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Thermostat

I am wanting to replace my Thermostat. I have a LCD screen
non-programable non-touchscreen thermostat. Im looking to get a new one that is Programable and would like it to be a a touch screen.

There are so many that are out there and i hear there are really bad ones to stay away from. What im looking for is a recomendation on a good, buy once and done thermostat.

I have a Tempstar 92% Furnace and a Tempstar A/C unit. I do not have a heat pump. I dont have a need for a Vacation function. I do not have a humidifier either.

What does the term 1h/1c or 3h/2c mean?

Thank you in advance.
Stephen

Advertisement

Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Thermostat

Everybody is differant I understand.
I would recomend that you get a standard 1 heat,1 cool stat.
I am one of those that have been soured on johnny come lately manufacturers.Honeywell and White Rogers have been making dependable stats for 75 years.
You do not have the equipment for real high tech stats. I guess I don't see the advantage of a touch screen stat for your application.

Advertisement

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Willing to listen

Thermostat

3h/2c means the tstat supports up to 3 stages of heat and 2 stages of cooling. You don't have to use all of the available stages if your equipment doesn't need them, but that way the capability is there if something changes in the future. Your installer configures this during install.

White Rodgers 1F95-1277 Universal and 1F97-1277 Single Stage are great touch screen choices and have a 5 year warranty.

Nothing wrong with choosing a touchscreen for your application...looks, features, and ease of use are certainly good reasons to go that way.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #4

Thermostat

I like the reviews on the White Rodgers. The White-Rodgers 1F97-1277 seems like a good choice.

What do you think about the Honeywell RTH8500D. I like these two and there is maybe $15 differance between them.

Is one better then the other? Im looking for performance, and quality. As well as id like to save some money on heating and cooling.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 282

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
I like the reviews on the White Rodgers. The White-Rodgers 1F97-1277 seems like a good choice.

What do you think about the Honeywell RTH8500D. I like these two and there is maybe $15 differance between them.

Is one better then the other? Im looking for performance, and quality. As well as id like to save some money on heating and cooling.
I have the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 and I'm pretty happy with it. I like that I can set the temperature for 4 set points a day on on one screen without cycling through a lot of menus... The stats with smaller screens basically have you go through more steps.. For example, I want'ed to air out the house for a few days but not at night.. I clicked edit schedule button, used the touchscreen to put a little check mark on all 7 days (along the top of the screen). clicked on wake temp, set it to 75d, clicked on leave, set to 75d, clicked on return, set it 75d, clicked on sleep and set it to 72d. Then hit done.

If you have a dual stage furnace, the you have a 2h/1c system.. It doesn't hurt to get one with more numbers, they are programmable to work with lots of systems.. I have a 3h/2c stat and I'm using it as 2h/1c..

If you want to get fancy there are wi-fi stats on the market now that let you control the temp from your iphone, etc.. Forgot to turn off the AC while at work or out for the day? click you phone..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #6

Thermostat

I helped a friend install the RTH8500D.. It works, but I still like the VisionPro better for the reasons I mentioned..
Old 08-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
I have the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 and I'm pretty happy with it. I like that I can set the temperature for 4 set points a day on on one screen without cycling through a lot of menus... The stats with smaller screens basically have you go through more steps.. For example, I want'ed to air out the house for a few days but not at night.. I clicked edit schedule button, used the touchscreen to put a little check mark on all 7 days (along the top of the screen). clicked on wake temp, set it to 75d, clicked on leave, set to 75d, clicked on return, set it 75d, clicked on sleep and set it to 72d. Then hit done.

If you have a dual stage furnace, the you have a 2h/1c system.. It doesn't hurt to get one with more numbers, they are programmable to work with lots of systems.. I have a 3h/2c stat and I'm using it as 2h/1c..

If you want to get fancy there are wi-fi stats on the market now that let you control the temp from your iphone, etc.. Forgot to turn off the AC while at work or out for the day? click you phone..
I think the Pro version may be an option but I dont have a heat pump or the sort. I also as far as i know have a dual stage furnace. I believe its either on or off.

As for wi-fi, that sounds really cool, but i think thats a bit over kill for what i want.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
I think the Pro version may be an option but I dont have a heat pump or the sort. I also as far as i know have a dual stage furnace. I believe its either on or off.

As for wi-fi, that sounds really cool, but i think thats a bit over kill for what i want.

Doesn't matter if you have a heat pump or not. The vision pro can be setup to run just a single stage furnace if you wanted it to.

Read the install guide to see what your up against..

http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1277..._PROD_FILE.pdf

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-T...Cool-3911000-p

Dual stage furnaces typically have two white terminals a W1 and W2. If you tie time together or hit a dip switch on your furnace, you can make them work so that the first stage kicks in for a few minutes, then if the house still isn't warm, the second stage kicks in. If the thermostat controls it, it will know if you have to go from 65 to 70 and will kick in the second stage sooner than waiting the 5 minutes.. Then to maintain it will likely only use the first stage.. Either way works just fine..
The Following User Says Thank You to zootjeff For This Useful Post:
Mr Smiley (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #9

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
Doesn't matter if you have a heat pump or not. The vision pro can be setup to run just a single stage furnace if you wanted it to.

Read the install guide to see what your up against..

http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1277..._PROD_FILE.pdf

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-T...Cool-3911000-p

Dual stage furnaces typically have two white terminals a W1 and W2. If you tie time together or hit a dip switch on your furnace, you can make them work so that the first stage kicks in for a few minutes, then if the house still isn't warm, the second stage kicks in. If the thermostat controls it, it will know if you have to go from 65 to 70 and will kick in the second stage sooner than waiting the 5 minutes.. Then to maintain it will likely only use the first stage.. Either way works just fine..
This one is actually cheaper then the one i was looking at at Amazon. Im liking this one better now
Old 08-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 870

Thermostat

As far as I know White Rodgers does not sell stats to HDepot etc. The Honeywell is just as good and compatible so go for it. The touchscreen can be quite annoying to see and work with if you have any sunlight/glare on it. Easier to use push buttons IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #11

Thermostat

Our thermostat is in the living room and on a wall that really dosnt see the sun much, and when it does its for less then 30 min.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 870

Thermostat

white rodgers is usually contractor grade /contractor only but if you can find someone to sell it to you they are very good stats.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #13

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
white rodgers is usually contractor grade /contractor only but if you can find someone to sell it to you they are very good stats.
If i have to be a contractor to get it, i dont think that will be much of an issue as i know a few contractors that will work with me. But I think if i go to the pex supply place i wint have an issue.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,100

Thermostat

Get the Honeywell. I love my Vision Pro IAQ! Same screen as what you are looking at in the 8000 series but with more functions. I think for ease of use and superior operation you should get the Honeywell. Stick with the pro grade though.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #15

Thermostat

Just placed the order for the Honeywell thermostat, so well post back when it arrives!

Advertisement