Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

Thermostat

I got a new digital thermostat since the last time I had the air on, and I can't remember the setting for cool air. For heat this winter, I had the fan on auto. I just set the cool air temperatures, and with the fan on auto, it wasn't kicking on. When I turned the fan to on, it did kick on. Should the fan be on On or Auto? Just want to make sure I have it set correctly. I'm going to at least let it cool down to the temp setting I have and see what it does after that. Hated to turn the air on, but my black lab acts like she is about to die.

ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Thermostat

Model# & manufacturer of furnace, model# & manufacturer of air conditioner, model# & manufacturer of thermostat is helpful. It can be as easy as the RC/RH jumper wire on the thermostat missing, miss wired either at the air handler or thermostat, or bad thermostat.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #3

Thermostat

Don't know why it didn't kick on right away, but I messed with the temp while it was on auto, and it finally started.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Thermostat

New digital stats have a time delay. If it's flashing "cool" or flashing "heat" after you've turned it to "auto" and "cool" or heat" and set desired set point then it will continue to flash in whichever mode it is for on average one minute, sometimes more, sometimes less dependant upon the settinng and/or brand.

After that minute wait when the system actually starts there will be no more flashing. The desired mode displayed, either heat or cool, will stay solid.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Thermostat

Why is there a delay on my Air Conditioning coming on?

The thermostat has a built-in five-minute delay on a request for air conditioning. This is for the purpose of protecting your air conditioning compressor from short cycling. This allows the pressure in your air conditioning compressor time to stabilize before starting. If your air conditioning has a built-in time delay as well, the two delays will run simultaneously.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #6

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
New digital stats have a time delay. If it's flashing "cool" or flashing "heat" after you've turned it to "auto" and "cool" or heat" and set desired set point then it will continue to flash in whichever mode it is for on average one minute, sometimes more, sometimes less dependant upon the settinng and/or brand.

After that minute wait when the system actually starts there will be no more flashing. The desired mode displayed, either heat or cool, will stay solid.
This is what it was doing. Thanks for the replies and info. Learn something new everyday.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Thermostat

ws450r, what temp do you set your's at when home & away? Too far apart, you really are not saving anything. I set ours to stay the same up until we go to bed, and set a couple of degrees lower, since the wife likes it colder when sleeping. Mine is 73 during the day (got to keep the dog comfortable), might bump to 72 if warmer, due to we have a Plasma tv that gives off a lot of heat, and 70 at night.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #8

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
ws450r, what temp do you set your's at when home & away? Too far apart, you really are not saving anything. I set ours to stay the same up until we go to bed, and set a couple of degrees lower, since the wife likes it colder when sleeping. Mine is 73 during the day (got to keep the dog comfortable), might bump to 72 if warmer, due to we have a Plasma tv that gives off a lot of heat, and 70 at night.
5:45-7 am is 73
7-4:45 is 80
4:45-10 pm is 73
10-5:45 is 80

Now that I read your response, I think I might adjust it a little. My living room, where the thermostat is, can get pretty warm during the afternoon/early evening, and don't want it kicking on all the time to maintain a cool temperature. I can see where if it is set in the mid 70's at night, it wouldn't be to bad. I like it cool when I'm sleeping as well, and also have a plasma that is hanging about 2' away from the stat. What would you suggest?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Thermostat

Too much of a swing. I would go no more than a 3-4 degree swing. Unless this is a business, there is no need to set back that far. Too much, then you end up with a lot of humidity in the house, which means the system will have to run long to remove it, so that the house is comfortable. There is new information out, that utilities are now seeing way too much conservation by home owners & businesses, thus now in turn have to raise rates to make up with less use.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #10

Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Too much of a swing. I would go no more than a 3-4 degree swing. Unless this is a business, there is no need to set back that far. Too much, then you end up with a lot of humidity in the house, which means the system will have to run long to remove it, so that the house is comfortable. There is new information out, that utilities are now seeing way too much conservation by home owners & businesses, thus now in turn have to raise rates to make up with less use.
So where I have it at 80 now, 76-77 would be better? I just don't want it kicking on a lot through the day while I am not there, which is why I have it set at 80 currently.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Thermostat

76-77 should be fine. Keep in mind, air leaks, open drapes, can cause the home to get hotter. Ceiling fans help to move air around rooms. Last year we started with the unit at 76 when away, 73 when home. I am going to try 72 when home, and 74 when away, since the unit cycles better when home, and the house seems more comfortable. Also, a thermostat that cycles the fan on and off during the day, but not the unit. also can help in keeping the house temp at a decent setting.