DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

thermal equalizer on hvac control question

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vdubb 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, and glad to be part ofthe community. quick synopsis. I moved into a new track home a little over 2 years ago built by Pulte. I live in a 2 story house with split 2 zone heating/cooling using york hvac/furnace/ac compressor. Of course, I never had or found any issues until now, which is after my 2 year warranty and the Hvac company Beutler wants $150 just to come out and answer my questions. Hence, why I came here.

Ok. My question is this. I always run the heater up stairs as the main living area is there and so is the family. Unit runs as it should...no problems. The other day, I decided to just use the heater for down stairs so I turned it on and all worked fine. Then, after the t-stat read the desired temp I set it at, it clicked and the blower stopped. Well, the venting fan kept running as it does for a few minutes, but right when it shut off, it turned back on. It then ran again for a few minutes, then shut itself off. I never noticed this before.

Also, when I ran the down stairs again, I set the t-stat to 72, and when it read 70, the unit shut off again for a few seconds then turned back on. The t-stat upstairs read 72, so I am wondering if all this is because of my hvac's control box? It has some thing called thermal equalizing on it and after reading online, I found that this is a design to keep the seperate zones close to the same temp so it doesn't get to uncomfortable. I am just concerned becuase my furnace will shut off and turn right back on and am wondering if the cycling on and off is normal?

Sorry for the long post and I hope my question makes sense. I guess I would like some one to educate me more on the hvac control's thermal equalizing function and if that it is doing what it is designed to do by shutting the blower off downstairs during its cycle and then turning back on a few seconds later. And also the venting fan turning off and then right back on. These issues only happen when I am using the heater and t-stat down stairs in zone 1. When I am only using the upstairs and zone 2, the blower will only shut off when the t-stat reaches my set temp, and the venting fan will only run after the blower kicks off, and it will shut off after a few minutes and will stay off. Are these normal functions that I am experiencing down stairs, and a function of the thermal equalizing feature, or do I have a problem? Thanks fellas.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi. TY for the reply. I have one furnace running and a split level system with a t-stat (zone 1) upstairs and zone 2 downstair, both connected to a ztech hvac controller. I contacted ztech today and I think I am close to solving the issue.

when the t-stat downstairs shuts off, the controller heat led shuts off, but there is a fan led that comes on the controller board. when the air handler shuts off it kicks right back on but this only happens when using the t-stat downstairs. The t-stat upstairs works fine and there is no fan led that comes on when the t-stat shuts off upstairs and the air handler stops as it should and does not turn back on. I wonder if something was wired improperly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.