Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

Share |

Is there a violation venting windowless a/c?

Hi all,
So I have a client where we installed a server rack in a server room. The place needs a/c so I suggested a ductless system to keep things cool. The Architect is suggesting to put one of those portable a/c in there and vent it to the plenum ceiling right through the drop ceiling tile, what an idiot ! I want to see if there is a violation on this so that I can't point it out to the client.

Thanks
dataguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataguy View Post
Hi all,
So I have a client where we installed a server rack in a server room. The place needs a/c so I suggested a ductless system to keep things cool. The Architect is suggesting to put one of those portable a/c in there and vent it to the plenum ceiling right through the drop ceiling tile, what an idiot ! I want to see if there is a violation on this so that I can't point it out to the client.

Thanks

The Architect is right.

http://www.compactappliance.com/APDK...c=SHOPDISCOUNT

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #3

He can't be, that duct might be going into a duct? Wouldn't the hot air in the ceiling cause condensation and maybe some mildew later on?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Only if the hvac system in the building, does not use the area between the drop ceiling and actual ceiling as a cold air return. Let the architect do their job, since they are paid to do it. If the owners want to bring in a hvac engineer, let them. If you are the owner, then you have a concern, but if you are just a drone hired to do a job, let the real experts do their job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
He can't be, that duct might be going into a duct? Wouldn't the hot air in the ceiling cause condensation and maybe some mildew later on?
Hot dry air into a attic, dont see a problem there, if there is indeed an attic above that area.
We did the exact same thing with our server room, it was the choice between 400 bucks for a large portable, or 5,000 for a mini split through the property manager.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

Just FYI, the client is a very good friend on mine, thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #7

Thanks guys, I guess he's right
Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #8

Only if the hvac system in the building, does not use the area between the drop ceiling and actual ceiling as a cold air return. Let the architect do their job, since they are paid to do it. If the owners want to bring in a hvac engineer, let them. If you are the owner, then you have a concern, but if you are just a drone hired to do a job, let the real experts do their job.
Let me guess, your an Architect
Old 10-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

In theory. Best bet Liebert hanging self contained server unit.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

I've added package units for Time Warner hubs. Cut 4eturns right through the door.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #11

Plenum ceiling is acceptable for using the portable.
I went to a call a few years back where mech contractor installed a split liebert in a server room. Ran the lines straight up 20 floors. Needless to say, it didn't work. I ended up putting in a 5 ton chiller and using the old refrigerant lines to run the water tower (which was oddly the same size and shape of a porta john).
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Just FYI, the client is a very good friend on mine, thanks!
So, basically that means that you guys do not sit down and have a few beers after work, but they call you for every beck and call. Worst thing to do, is have a friendship with clients outside of working with them, and even worst, is having a friendship with clients while doing work for them. Friendship with clients is worst than working for a lawyer, in any form or matter.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (10-15-2011), JJboy (10-15-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

If its single hose portable, then it will use room air for its condenser, and have trouble cooling at times. A ductless, or rack cooler is better.

Do you know how many BTUs it will put off? Or the total VA rating.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote