Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Share |

Is there a problem with my furnace humidifier?

Hi all,

It's been very dry in my house this winter so I checked on the humidifier installed on my furnace and I don't think it's working.

It's a honeywell, I think it's the HE220 or HE225, it was already installed when I bought the house in 2004.

Anyway, I don't see any signs of water in the drain hose coming from the bottom and I remember seeing wetness in it last winter.

I took the cover off and the filter appears to be dry. I than turned on the heat and set the humidifiers themostat all the way up and let it run for 15 mins. When I came back I checked the top of the filter where the water hose seems to go to and that looked dry.

I'm hoping to not have to replace the whole thing if possible. Is there any troubleshooting I can do to determine what or where the problem is?

I took a bunch of pictures of the system which can be viewed here:

http://photos.walmart.com/share/p=49...=SYE/otsi=SALB

spikesnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikesnet View Post
Hi all,

It's been very dry in my house this winter so I checked on the humidifier installed on my furnace and I don't think it's working.

It's a honeywell, I think it's the HE220 or HE225, it was already installed when I bought the house in 2004.

Anyway, I don't see any signs of water in the drain hose coming from the bottom and I remember seeing wetness in it last winter.

I took the cover off and the filter appears to be dry. I than turned on the heat and set the humidifiers themostat all the way up and let it run for 15 mins. When I came back I checked the top of the filter where the water hose seems to go to and that looked dry.

I'm hoping to not have to replace the whole thing if possible. Is there any troubleshooting I can do to determine what or where the problem is?

I took a bunch of pictures of the system which can be viewed here:

http://photos.walmart.com/share/p=49...=SYE/otsi=SALB
At the end of last heating season, did you, by chance, close the water supply valve (might be clamped to a water pipe).

When furnace is not running, have someone turn up the thermostat. Do you hear a click (put your ear next to the unit).

V

veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
At the end of last heating season, did you, by chance, close the water supply valve (might be clamped to a water pipe).

When furnace is not running, have someone turn up the thermostat. Do you hear a click (put your ear next to the unit).

V

I checked the water supply valve which is clamped to a pipe right next to the unit and the handle is all of the way out (counter-clockwise).

The thermostat for the humidifier is also mounted right next to the unit so while the heat was off I turned the dial on it both ways. I heard a click coming from the thermostat but I didn't hear one coming from the humidifier itself.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #4

Humidifier normally wont run unless the furnace is running. Check for the water valve click when the furnace is running.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH1 View Post
Humidifier normally wont run unless the furnace is running. Check for the water valve click when the furnace is running.

I turned on the heat and tried it again but I still only hear the clicking from the thermostat.