DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Test control board/ hot wire blower motor

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mcompton1973 
#1 ·
I have a Bryant Plus 90 Furnace circa 1997.
Blower does not work whether it is on "on" or "auto".
The AC compressor kicks in and works, heater kicks in and works....just no blower motor.

I have pulled the motor and had it tested. It checks out fine.
I have pulled and tested the capacitor...it is fine.
I replaced the thermostat (I had wanted a programmable one anyways...)
So I believe that means that my control board is bad. Thing is I dont know how to test it for sure. I also have read some references to "hot wiring" the blower motors. I could at least have heat tonight if I did that, if I knew which wire to connect to what wire...lol.

I have a fairly basic volt/ohm meter...but I am not an expert with it, but money wise I need to save whatever I can...looking at the control board, swapping it out doesn't scare me. It appears to be pretty straight forward, just dont get wires in wrong place, and make sure jumpers are set the same etc. I have a good aptitude...just not a lot of experience. There is a place in Omaha I can get a board ordered but I need to know how to test it to be sure...and how to hot wire it to last until I can get the part. (27 last night was a little chilly with no heat)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I had identical symptoms. It was the board that was bad. I was able to repair the board and did not have to purchase a replacement. If you pull the ignition board and take a close look you might just spot the problem with your eyes. It was pretty obvious from visual inspection in my case. You can read my account here, which includes photos, what the problem was, etc.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/blower-motor-ac-unit-not-coming-155921/

#3 ·
One lead of the meter goes to the white wire(neutral) connection on the board from the blower and the other lead to the other colors,one at a time. If there's 120V then the motor is bad, if no 120V then it's the board.

Boards with flame proving circuits should always be replaced instead of repaired. Dumping raw gas in because that safety was compromised in some way would be a very,very bad thing.

#4 ·
Well, I got the board pulled and there is NO DOUBT it is the board...I am not an electronics person, but I think they are resistors that are fried. I would say it needs the whole board replaced no chance of repairing it.

Looks like the replacement part # is 325878-751. My only problem is that with a different part number I have to make sure I get the wires in the right spot. I had made a diagram and took pictures, but now they will all be in different spots...lol.

I am hoping I can find the part locally at a decent price...but I dunno...

Here is the part, and I will keep you updated.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Number one is OEM.. A lot easier for install
Number two is NOT oem and will probably require following the schematic much closer
number three seems higher due to coming from Lennox themselves(guessing) seems exactly the same

Number one seems like the best choice
+100% satisfactory!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.