Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tempstar furnace is rumbling when burner is off ??

Hello forum,

I have a 1996 Tempstar gas furnace at home that is rumbling laudly when its burner goes off. When it gets colder and the burner comes on, it sound and work okay. It's fan is working all the time regardless of burner being off or on. I googled a bit and found an answer saying that in this case I need to reduce the gas supply to the pilot. I opened the front door and couldn't find any tap, screw or anything that could adjust the gas flow to the pilot. Does anyone have an idea what I have to do? If it helps, I can take some picture of the components and post it. Thanks in advance.

digitop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the forum.
"It's fan is working all the time regardless of burner being off or on."
in this case, the first thing i would check is the thermostat fan setting. be SURE it's on "AUTO"!
also, some furnaces have another fan on/off button on the front or inside to turn it on and off. this may be in the wrong position as well.

DM

Old 12-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi DangerMouse,

Thanks for reply. The thermostat setting for the fan is on Auto but this doesn't change anything, it's running all the time. I also couldn't find any switch or anything inside the furnace itself except there's a ON/OFF button on some component which is on the way of gas supply line as you see on the first attached picture (File 061.JPG). I post a few picture here hopefully this could help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Tempstar furnace is rumbling when burner is off ??-061.jpg   Tempstar furnace is rumbling when burner is off ??-021.jpg   Tempstar furnace is rumbling when burner is off ??-051.jpg   Tempstar furnace is rumbling when burner is off ??-031.jpg   Tempstar furnace is rumbling when burner is off ??-121.jpg  

Tempstar furnace is rumbling when burner is off ??-091.jpg  
digitop is offline   Reply With Quote