Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Share |

Tempstar Central Air Outdoor Unit LOUD

Hi Gentleman,

I understand that most central air units are a bit loud by nature but mine has become increasingly louder over the last year. The unit is about 10 years old and by my crude calculations it is a bit undersized and runs for hours at a time in the summer months. My intention is to get it serviced but I was just wondering if there was any obvious things that could be causing the problem. When I moved in 5 years ago the unit was fairly quiet. It is a constant loud hum that only comes from the outdoor unit.

Thanks

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #2

Dirt in the fins will make the compressir louder. Might be fine after a good service.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #3

remove the compressor wires tape away and push the contactor in might be a simple condenser fan bearings going free spin both direction hear any grinding..rumbling??....snow sitting on the top of the condenser in the winter.freon is tight have you had it added with a slow leak over the years? oil leaks out in droplets when the freon is exiting compressor might be on it's way out if the condenser fan is quiet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
remove the compressor wires tape away and push the contactor in might be a simple condenser fan bearings going free spin both direction hear any grinding..rumbling??....snow sitting on the top of the condenser in the winter.freon is tight have you had it added with a slow leak over the years? oil leaks out in droplets when the freon is exiting compressor might be on it's way out if the condenser fan is quiet?
Apologies, I'm trying to understand. I haven't noticed any oil like substance anywhere. I will try and free spin the fan to see if I notice anything. I will also clean the fins with a pressure washer although they don't appear dirty. What would pushing the contactor in do?
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

Never, Never use pressure washer to wash the fins. The fins are soft.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote