Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #1

Share |
Tempeture out of ducts

Am not trying to repair anything just want to understand my equipment a bit so I can be responsible to my equipment. What types of tempetures should I be expecting to be coming from my heating ducts with my heat pump. I originally come from an area where you mainly saw steam and hot water baseboard. I am curious of what I should be expecting.

infoskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #2

Tempeture out of ducts

Heat pump output temps vary with the outdoor temp. It was 35 degrees most of the day today in Vegas and snowing, mine was blowing about 85 degrees. Doesnt feel extremely warm coming out of the vents but it still heated the house very well.

Those temps were without the auxillary heat running, depending on what size heat strips your unit has and if your auxillary heat is engaged, will also determine output temps.

My unit is a bit oversized because we have a large cooling load here in the desert but it gives me an advantage on heating, I have heated the house so far down to 22 degrees without any auxillary heat.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #3

Tempeture out of ducts

Thank you for the info. My outside temps were a bit warmer than your todays about high 40's low 50's, unusual for us this time of year. My temps without heat stips engaged are running about 78 degrees I thought it might be a bit low? Just beginning to get familiar with these units. All information is appreciated. You cannot be responsible if you don't pay attention to the equipmentat least on a basic level. Like knowing when to call your HVAC man.
Thanks
infoskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #4

Tempeture out of ducts

Register temperatures when using a Heat pump is related to at least two factors: the indoor to outdoor delta temperature (aka lift), and your ductwork configuration. As the lift becomes greater your indoor register temperature will drop. Your ductwork lengths, distance of trunk and branches, passing though unheated spaces, ductwork insulation can all affect register temperature.

If you've not had your system serviced by an HVAC pro you should just to get a baseline. When they do it, have them check your delta t between the return and supply plenum's, and write that down along with the outdoor temp during the service call as your baseline.

Last edited by dac122; 12-16-2008 at 08:33 AM.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote