Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Share |
Question

tapping into heating ducts for wood-stove

Last year we installed a wood-stove in the lower level of our house. The room where the stove is located is directly below our master bedroom and kitchen. We have been burning wood for most of the winter, but the heat is mostly localized in the room where the stove is located. I have been trying to find a way to move some of the warm air up to the main level of the house where we spend most of our time. My first thought was to install a few vents in the floor of our bedroom and kitchen and connect them via some duct work, containing an inline booster fan, to a vent in the drop-ceiling above the wood-stove. My thought here was to move the warm air up through the vents and allow the cooler air to flow down the stairs back to the lower level. The drawback that I see here is that I would have to cut through the wood floors, which I would like to avoid.

My father in-law suggested a different option. We have a forced-air gas heating system for the house and there are two duct lines running directly above the wood stove to floor vents in the master bedroom. He suggested taping into these duct lines. I would install a vent in the drop-ceiling above the wood-stove as like what I described above, but would tee into the heating duct lines. That way I could use the existing floor vents in the bedroom. Does this sound reasonable? Would it interfere with the normal heating system? I would still like to use the in-line duct fan to force the warm air upstairs. Would I also have to include a directional damper in the duct lines to keep the air moving towards the vent, instead of back to the furnace?

Thanks.

Peter

dino6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Experienced

tapping into heating ducts for wood-stove

Duct a return air into the wood stove area and run your furnace on low speed continuously. Not only will this distribute the warm air, it will filter it to.