Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

Share |

Tapping into existing metal duct

Hi everyone. I've just spent 30 minutes searching this site for my answer and was unable to find it so, if this has been covered before, please kindly direct me to the appropriate post.
My question: I have a 6" metal duct serving my bedroom and I would like to tap into it to siphon off a little air and feed it directly to my closet using 4" flex duct. What is the best way to cut the 4" hole in the metal duct (I don't have a 4" metal cutting hole saw)? What do I attach to the metal duct (and how do I attach it) to transition to the smaller flex duct? Can I buy the parts at Lowes or HD?
Thanks in advance!!

Mike_Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #2

Tapping into existing metal duct

Hi Mike-I am not a professional but have done the exact same thing in a previous house. If you think you will ever work in metals or need a circle cutter I suggest a very nifty tool that is sold at Home Depot, HVAC Dept. It is a circle cutter. It cost $54 but it is worth every penny. It is used with any drill. The hole is cut by a special spiral drill bit to any size you wish. If you can fit a butterfly damper (not sure of the proper lingo) in the 6 inch pipe I suggest you place one in there and fit a louvered control wall vent in both the bedroom and the closet. Leave all doors open for efficient heating cooling. Hope that helps.

lhempel is offline   Reply With Quote