Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Taco Valve Control Head Repair, or Replacement?

The heat in my house is divided into five zones. We have baseboard hot water heat. Every year it seems that one of the Taco valves that controls one of the zones stops working. We had two extras when we moved into the house, but as the valves stopped working, I took the heads off and put on the new ones, thinking that none of them could possibly go bad again. Well they did. Now my son's bedroom isn't getting heat.

Is there a way to repair these control heads or to test them to see if this is the problem? The thermostats in my house are all brand new. I initially thought I had two bad valves, but it turns out the batteries in my bedroom thermostat were dead. Once I replaced them it seemed alright.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I have seen this in the past. Most is due to the ions in the water and they tend to "weld" the valves shut.

Here is what I suggest.

These valves are not toast. With a little prodding they can be returned to active service (more than likely). Putting them in vinegar might help loosen the deposits.

To prevent this, run the heat several times in the summer to keep the valves working and prevent them freezing up.

Check the electronics to see if this is what failed. I don't think this is the problem but you have to check all the angles.

If all else fails call Taco. They have some really great tech support and I use Taco valves and pumps all the time. I have never been disappointed. Currently I have three pumps and 5 valves and they are in a very harsh environment with both weather and high sulphur water which is killer on metal.

Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

So you think it's the valve that's failed and not the control head? I never though of that.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lidgr0und View Post
So you think it's the valve that's failed and not the control head? I never though of that.
During the summer the valves sit and don't move. They need to move now and then or they can freeze up.

Remove the head and see if the valve moves easily. If it doesn't then see if you can add some fine oil to the valve and let it sit for a bit. Then try and move it again.

I see motors die because the valve is sticking and the motor works too hard to move it and the motors burn out.

Worth a shot.

I see a lot of heating issues once the summer is over and people fire up the furnace. Valves that have sat all summer are some of the problems I see.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 10-07-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote