Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

Taco IFC pump makes noise when it stops

Hello. I'm looking for experience or ideas to guide me in troubleshooting my hot water baseboard system. I have a WM Ultra boiler with Taco 007 pumps. I have a domestic hot water loop with a 007 IFC (no issues). The main heat loop has a "close coupled tee" loop with a 007 IFC, and the house circulator is a regular 007 that splits into two zones (with zone valves). Everything runs and works fine, except when the call-for-heat stops, the system makes a 1 or 2 second rumble as the pumps stop.

All I can think of at the moment is that the IFC is making noise. My first thought is to remove the IFC pump in my heat loop and pull the check valve out of it. I could also swap the IFC pump in the heat loop with the IFC pump in the DHW loop.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Addicted; 04-07-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #2

Could be zone valve is closing to fast causing water hammer simmilar to domestic piping. Try leaving one of the zone valves open and turning the system off to see what hapens.

JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

If you are using zone valves you do not want IFC on the pumps. Yank it out. You only use IFC's where it will be the way of checking flow when not required.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk03 View Post
If you are using zone valves you do not want IFC on the pumps. Yank it out. You only use IFC's where it will be the way of checking flow when not required.
I think I need the check valves to make my DHW loop work right. WIthout the check valve, the pump for the DHW loop will tend to send flow around my primary loop instead of through the boiler. Sound right?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
BIGRED

Reread tk03's response. What he said is correct. You don't need the chk valve in the zoned loops. Leave the waterheater loop alone because you are right; you do need the chk in that loop or install a flo-check in the heater loop.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
Reread tk03's response. What he said is correct. You don't need the chk valve in the zoned loops. Leave the waterheater loop alone because you are right; you do need the chk in that loop or install a flo-check in the heater loop.
That will depend. On where the zone valves are installed.
If installed on the return. You can get a gravity heat in the heating zones when the Domestic is being heater.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
The zone valves only stop flow through the secondary loop. I would only get a little flow though the boiler without a check valve in my primary loop.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
That will depend. On where the zone valves are installed.
If installed on the return. You can get a gravity heat in the heating zones when the Domestic is being heater.
Zone valves are on the returns.

I'm more worried about making the domestic loop actually pump through the boiler. THe flow check is required to prevent the DHW loop from just flowing around my closely spaced tees and not going through the boiler.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
BIGRED

Addicted There is no reason to have flo-chek on any secondary with a zone valve on the feed or return side of the loops. That covers ZONE VALVES. They isolate your loops so there will be no thermal travel. On a DHW secondary without a zone valve you DO need a check valve or flo-chek so that the heater only gets reheated on demand from the aquastat. You would wind up with 180 F water coming out your faucets otherwise. Your primary loop, from your boiler to your boiler array doesn't really need a flo-chek in it, but if you have one already in the loop it's OK. I'm not sure if you have injection flow control between your primary and secondary or not, but WM used to push it as the end all for system control. If this is what you are referring to take a look for a 1/2" valve (manual) on your bypass loop or return from your secondary to your primary. It maybe partially closed and causing cavatation momentarily when the pumps shut down. Pumps get old and loose like me and tend to do funny things with age. Open it up abit and retry it.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Addicted There is no reason to have flo-chek on any secondary with a zone valve on the feed or return side of the loops. That covers ZONE VALVES. They isolate your loops so there will be no thermal travel. On a DHW secondary without a zone valve you DO need a check valve or flo-chek so that the heater only gets reheated on demand from the aquastat. You would wind up with 180 F water coming out your faucets otherwise. Your primary loop, from your boiler to your boiler array doesn't really need a flo-chek in it, but if you have one already in the loop it's OK. I'm not sure if you have injection flow control between your primary and secondary or not, but WM used to push it as the end all for system control. If this is what you are referring to take a look for a 1/2" valve (manual) on your bypass loop or return from your secondary to your primary. It maybe partially closed and causing cavatation momentarily when the pumps shut down. Pumps get old and loose like me and tend to do funny things with age. Open it up abit and retry it.
I agree about the zone valves, and I don't have any flow checks on my secondary loops.

Here's where I'm stuck:
My primary pump doesn't run when the DHW pump runs. Why would the flow go through the boiler if it can just as easily scoot backwards around the primary loop? I want good flowrate through the boiler. As I understand it, that's the whole point of having a primary and secondary loop in the first place. Maybe my assumption that the flow will easily scoot backwards through a non-running pump is incorrect.

I think a check valve is needed to force the DHW loop to flow through the boiler rather than going backwards around the primary loop and starving the boiler flow.

Weil McLain install manual shows the addition of a check valve in primary loop when you add DHW.

I'm not certain about injection flow control, but there is no valving between my closely spaced tees. I assume that's the bypass loop?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #12

By the way, I appreciate the input. I enjoy being able to discuss intelligently with people who understand this stuff.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #13

Where can we see some pictures of this job. It is getting confusing.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Zone valves on the return, without a flow check in the supply. Allow gravity heat.

The hot water runs along the top of the pipe, And the cold water runs along the bottom of the pipe.

Usually its not enough to heat the entire loop. But its more then enough to heat/over heat one or 2 rooms.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Zone valves on the return, without a flow check in the supply. Allow gravity heat.

The hot water runs along the top of the pipe, And the cold water runs along the bottom of the pipe.

Usually its not enough to heat the entire loop. But its more then enough to heat/over heat one or 2 rooms.
You are missing the fact that I have a DHW loop in parallel.