Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #1

Share |

Taco Circulating Pump leak & violent noise

Our radiant floor heating system has been working very sporadically and it seems to have something to do with the pump.

Just this week the pump started making noises, then tonight it was extremely loud, gurgling, and started leaking. The pressure gauge also started increasing quickly. Here's a video of it from tonight: http://youtu.be/OcCPZFnAHYA

I noticed that there was no water pumping through the pipes, but the circulating pump was extremely hot to the touch. The noise was so bad I though it was going to blow up. I made sure the thermostat was completely off, then shut off the breaker to the pump. That seemed to at least shut it down, but now I don't know what to do. Do I need a new pump or...?

PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Do I need a new pump
Ayuh,... I'd think so, 'n that's where I'd start, with a New pump....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #3

Pumps move water, if you have air in the system the air will end up in the pump and the pump (water cooled) will get hot.

Shut the pump down and purge the air or have someone who installs radiant floors find the source of the air. A properly designed radiant floor heating system will rarely be air-bound.

Pumps cost more that regular maintenance.
BadgerBoilerMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #4

1 OF 2 things------ Air in system or bad pump.

Pump could have gone bad from air in the system to start with.

Buy a new pump if that's not the problem at least you will have a spare on the shelve.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #5

I would no more change a pump when it made "noise" than replace a door because it squeaked.

Purge the air if you know how, listen to the pump and check the amp draw. If this is not in your skill set, call and ask if the contractor installs radiant floor heating etc.

This link can help.

http://www.badgerboilerservice.com/contractor.html
Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

Thank you! I know there is definitely air in the system because I've seen air pockets in the pipes. I didn't know how much is too much.

I don't know how to purge the air, but will hire a pro. Should I assume that most plumbing & heating companies know how to handle this?

Regarding maintenance once I get it working, what is regular maintenance on these pumps and radiant floor systems?

Thank you for your help!!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Experienced

Yes, if you explain your problem, I am sure they will have the appropriate person to attend to the problem.

You might want to have the person explain to you what they are doing, so if it happens again maybe you won't have to call them.

Mark
Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

A properly designed and installed radiant floor heating system will not have any air in it. I will run nearly silently. Since water transfers heat 3500 times better than air, and pumps won't move it, you don't want it.

Air in a hydronic heating system will drive up fuel costs and shorten pump life. Many are not designed to purge air efficiently so if you have a recurring problem look to a certified designer for help.

http://www.radiantpanelassociation.o...20&showTitle=1