T-bar Bridges For Suspended Ceiling Ductwork - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

t-bar bridges for suspended ceiling ductwork

The suspended ceiling is 2 x 2 standard t-bar grid with thin vinyl tiles and 6" ductwork mounting between the joists above. Would like to install round diffusers but they cannot be attached to the tiles for support. The diffusers will need to be attached to t-bar bridges similar to those found on halo recessed lights.

I found Speedi Boot products at Home Depot which could have met the need but they only make rectangular and square boots for suspended ceilings. Thought about using a Quam SSB-9 t-bar bridge intended for audio speakers. Their SSB-9 could probably be rigged to attach to the starter collar and diffuser. However, I thought I'd ask here first to see if there is another solution.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Why not install diffusers intended for use with suspended ceilings:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3604004...Types&var=sbar

Just an example - there are many other types to be found.

I've not seen a method to suspend round ceiling diffusers in suspended ceilings. Every time I see one of those, they're supported by the tile, and the tile ends up warping fairly quickly. You could use rectangular boots made for overhead installation. They come with "rails", which allow you to span the 24" space.

Advertisement

scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottmcd9999 For This Useful Post:
josephmartins (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. We appreciate it.

We thought about the 24 x 24 diffusers since they're a drop-in. But they're definitely more for industrial/commercial applications. A couple things turned use off to the idea. Their size and their appearance which, in my opinion at least, would definitely not go well with the style of ceiling since unless we can find one that is similarly recessed (see the photo). I suppose a VAV (bottom photo) might work but it's still a huge 24 x 24 and significantly more expensive than all the other options.

We thought we might rig something similar to the rectangular boot using the Quam speaker bridge to keep the weight off the tile. Not the original intended use for that product but it seems like it might work. Then we could use a 6-8" round or square diffuser cover.

Sounds like there really isn't any other way to suspend round duct and keep the weight off the tile.
Attached Thumbnails
t-bar bridges for suspended ceiling ductwork-westminster-white-ceiling-tiles.jpg   t-bar bridges for suspended ceiling ductwork-ssb9.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by josephmartins; 08-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 350

The weight isn't that much....

We just use a backer plate and fasten it directly to the tile. Last job we used thin plywood and sandwiched the tile in between the plywood and ceiling register.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote