Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Switching from old Oil Heating system, advice needed

A house I am looking at has an old oil heating system with baseboard radiating heat that is in bad condition. No a/c currently (window units only). The house is a rancher and has easy access to each of the rooms via the attic for cieling vents. Im wondering what the best cost effective options are for heating the place, and is there a combo HVAC unit that would fit the bill without costing an arm and a leg? This will be my primary residence for over 5 years, likely much longer (10+ ?). The main floor is about 1300 square feet. It also has an unfinished basement which I'd like to (partially) finish down the road. Let me know if there are any other factors I need to consider that I havent mentioned.

What should I expect to pay for the HVAC unit and equipment?
What are your recommendations?
Any advice is appreciated.

captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
What should I expect to pay for the HVAC unit and equipment?
What are your recommendations?
Any advice is appreciated.
It's impossible to provide an accurate cost estimate based on one paragraph.

This sounds like an extensive HVAC retrofit project and you really need a competent contractor to design a system for you. This includes sizing the system, designing matching ductwork/airflow and possibly even uping the insulation of this home. If you'll be abandoning oil heat then there's also decommisioning costs.

Get mutliple quotes and choose the best contractor you can find. The competence of the contractor and his team are everything in a project like this.

Do you have natural gas comming to the house. If so, a heat pump with natural gas backup might be a good choice.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennyh View Post
It's impossible to provide an accurate cost estimate based on one paragraph.

This sounds like an extensive HVAC retrofit project and you really need a competent contractor to design a system for you. This includes sizing the system, designing matching ductwork/airflow and possibly even uping the insulation of this home. If you'll be abandoning oil heat then there's also decommisioning costs.

Get mutliple quotes and choose the best contractor you can find. The competence of the contractor and his team are everything in a project like this.

Do you have natural gas comming to the house. If so, a heat pump with natural gas backup might be a good choice.
Thanks for the response. No natural gas, just oil as far as I am aware. Im not against keeping oil heat, but it does need a complete overhaul by the looks of it. Admittedly, I know NOTHING when it comes to HVAC. The baseboard units are in shambles, and the furnace is very old according to the owner.
Sounds like I'll need to take your advice and have an HVAC contractor give me the full story.
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote