Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

switching from Honeywell to Totaline

Hi, Greetings,

I purchased a Totaline Wireless Thermostat System for our 2 year old son's bedroom last October. the original themometer setting for the heat pump upstairs is like this:
http://www.picpile.net/ims/pic_4174GOLE/16657.jpg

I replaced it with the Totaline and the new connection is like this:
http://www.picpile.net/ims/pic_4174GOLE/16658.jpg

It worked well for the whole winter. But currently, the AC won't turn on. I bet I didn't get the wires connected correctly since when I switch back to wired thermostat, it works just fine. (on the Totaline, I was told <by one HVAC guy on the phone> to leave the black wire open and I'm not sure if that caused problem). On the original panel, the E connects BLACK WIRE, There is no "E" on the Totaline.

If you know how to correct my mistake, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by novadude; 05-08-2007 at 09:18 PM.
novadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi novadude

Look at my post called Facts about thermostats. Need any help past that let me know and I will get back with you ASAP.

Good luck
Rusty

Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, Carrierman,

Thank you very much for your input.

I studied your post about the "Facts about thermostats", it is very well written and very clear about those use of "switches". But it seems I couldn't find the solution to my puzzle in that post.

I believe that 5 wires I got are correct (I only have a little bit doubt on the Orange wire because on my new panel, B,O and W1 are one connector and Orange goes there). On the new panel, I left Yellow and Black out since I was told to do so <by an HVAC guy on the phone>.
I now have big question now about this Black wire and Yellow wire. Are they really supppse to connect nothing? I have a feeling that those two wires are giving me trouble.

In additional to the pictures I gave above. There is another "dip switch panel" on the panel board, that has 9 switches and the manual indicates "1,2,4,8,16,32,EH,HP,O/B". I was told last October (by the same HVAC guy) to switch "HP"(heat pump) to ON and the rest "OFF". Do I need to turn the "HP" back to OFF? Do I need to do anything about EH, and O/B switch?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by novadude; 05-13-2007 at 09:12 PM.
novadude is offline   Reply With Quote