Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #1

Share |

Swamp Cooler vs AC

Maybe someone can help me here; I do not know much about the topic. I am a college student (Comp Sci, not HVAC) and I would like to try and save some money on my electricity bill this summer. After doing some research I came across this forum.
My problem is, I do not know which would be the most efficient way to cool a 3 bedroom apartment in Boston. I do not know much about what the humidity is here. I have read that swamp coolers don't work well in some areas because of the humidity. So my question is; does anyone think that a swamp cooler in a large three bedroom apartment would be a better investment than maybe a portable air conditioner, if I am living in Boston, Ma. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I am just a poor student, and every buck I can save helps.

Thanks.

If a swamp cooler is, indeed, the best decision... what size/type of swamp cooler should I choose?

Last edited by mtcone; 05-19-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Afterthought
mtcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

Swamp Cooler vs AC

My father lived in Phoenix for many years, and as hot as it gets there, he rarely used his a/c. It was always the swamp cooler and an attic fan, and his house stayed quite comfortable-one time when I was visiting, it was 117 degrees-and he did'nt have the air on!!!

That being said, it was my understanding that the swamp cooler was only effective in situations where there was very low humidity. I remember him saying that when the "dew point" reached a certain level, you had to turn your air on.

I don't know what the humidity in Boston is like, but I imagine its a lot higher than it is in the Southwest. I'm no expert, but I would think that your money would be better spent on an air conditioner-and you'll probably be a lot more comfortable when July and August roll around.

Just my 2c worth.

elscorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #3

Swamp Cooler vs AC

Good stuff. I was really hoping a swamp cooler would be enough. I believe that would keep my electric bill down, which is my greatest concern. I am sure an AC would keep the place cooler, but I don't need it to be frigid. I just want it to be comfortable while saving as much money as possible, in the long run. I don't know much about the humidity level or anything like that, but I suppose it does seem kind of humid sometimes in the summer.

You are probably right, an AC unit would likely be my only option.

Thanks
mtcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Swamp Cooler vs AC

The idea of swamp coolers is that they introduce humidity into the air to absorb some of the heat. That is why they reach a point where they are not effective, such as when the ambiant humidity is already high. That is what makes them very effective in dry climates. Since Boston sits on a waterfront, I'm going to guess that it already has a high humidity.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, portable air conditioner, swamp cooler