Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

Swamp cooler vents

I know it's winter but I'm thinking about summer, and I can't wait. Anyway I'm planning on installing a downdraft swamp cooler in my house instead of our window cooler and I thought of an idea. Instead of cracking open windows in every room, would it be possible to vent the air into the attic through a hole cut into the drywall with a proper sized vent and some ducting to get it above the insulation?

Since the warmer air is already at the ceiling, I thought having the vent high would allow the that warm air to escape - filling the room with the colder air from the bottom up. And since this would allow us to keep out windows closed it would keep us feeling safer.

Then if that works take it a step further by placing the swamp cooler on a thermostat (no big deal right) and have each vent installed with an actuator that opens when the cooler kicks on and closes when it turns off keeping the hot air in the attic from entering back into the house.

My biggest concern is pumping the moist air into the attic. I do live in Colorado so the climate is extremely dry compared to other areas so I'm wondering if that extra humidity in the attic would even be a problem.

Let me know what you think.

Summiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

Swamp cooler vents

I am answering my own question just in case someone else is ever wondering the same thing. There is a pruduct called Up-dux that will do this. Here is a link to the product: http://www.dialmfg.com/updux.htm

It sound like venting the swamp cooler into the attic is benificial in several ways. It allows you to keep your windows locked at all times. It forces the hotter air on the cieling out of the home first, cooling from the floor all the way to the cieling. And it also cools off your attic, keeping your home cooler longer.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Swamp cooler vents

So you don't need heat in the winter.

Cause if you did. Those dampers will have a min leak rate of 4%. And would leave a fair amount of cold air come in from the attic in the winter.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Swamp cooler vents

Ya I thought of that, 4 screws and the vent comes down, cut some insulation foam that fits on top of the vent, screw it back in and your good for the winter.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

Swamp cooler vents

Let us know how well it really works.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote