Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Share |

swamp cooler

In my home i have a central swamp cooler. when i turn it on I find dust and debris flying through the vents into my house making a horrible mess. Do i have to replace the ducts, or can this be fixed?
doreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

swamp cooler

Could you define what a swamp cooler is for those of us (myself in particular) who have never heard of one before?

Regardless of what it is, the ducts are only the channel for the debri to travel through, the origin of the debris is before the ducts.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03-26-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #3

swamp cooler

A lot of people use evaporative cooling in Phx.Az. as an altefrnative to regular a/c.Its a little cheaper than running a/c and if set up right will cool your home.The dirt and stuff thats being blown into your house is from the system setting and actually needs serviced.It takes a good maintenance program to really stay on top of a system.In the summer before startup,you want ot clean the basin,pumps and filters.You should replace the pads every year or 2 depending on what you have.Oil the cage bearings and motor bearings for good operation.Wash the whole system down and wipe it out as well.Make sure you have a good mineral protection program going as this will keep the minerals from attacking the cooler.I reccomend a clean machine.This has a built in timer that monitors the runtime of the cooler.Everty * hrs it actually drains the cooler and allows frsh water to come into the basin giving you a cleaner basin and pads and keeps the minerals from having enough time to actually attack your cooler.This will increase the life of itby approximately 30%.Use the water it dumps to water flowers or grass or whatever.Use a 3/4 inch hose and make sure its not kinked and the clean machine will do a good job of watering for you.during the winter time you want to drain the basin of water and dissconect the belt and shut it down.The belt wont get a flat spot in it from sitting all winter.I also would shut the water off to it and drain the water line so it doesnt freeze.Also can by a cooler tarp for your system and put it to sleep for the winter! Theese are methods I offer mty customers and they seem to enjoy the service.Also at the same tinme if you have any whilybirds they have covers for those in the wintrtime also.Help your house stay warm.Take care hope info helps!
1mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #4

swamp cooler

Hey Doc,How you doing buddy! Evaporative Cooling is an alternative to using a/c.It works good as long as the humidity isnt high.The systems have a pad that a squirrel cage pulls air through and at the same time its running it allows water to flow over it to saturate a pad.As the blower pulls air across the pad when the moisture evaporates thats what gets you the cool air.Like a cooling tower to reuse water from a water cooled condensor.Cooling tower operation,same thing my friend.Hope this helps and keep themm coolers clean and maintained and the dirt issue at startup will be to a minimum!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1mastertech For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

swamp cooler

evaporatiove cooling? Isn't that the same as the normal latent heat of evaporation which takes place in an evaporator coil during a normal call for cool in an hvac system?

liquid refrigerant enters evaporator coil through metering device and begins saturation or evaporation..? I guess my question is what's the difference in ph, az concerning evaporative cooling from normal evaporative cooling in air conditioning systems here in Houston or anywhere? Just wondering.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

swamp cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mastertech View Post
Hey Doc,How you doing buddy! Evaporative Cooling is an alternative to using a/c.It works good as long as the humidity isnt high.The systems have a pad that a squirrel cage pulls air through and at the same time its running it allows water to flow over it to saturate a pad.As the blower pulls air across the pad when the moisture evaporates thats what gets you the cool air.Like a cooling tower to reuse water from a water cooled condensor.Cooling tower operation,same thing my friend.Hope this helps and keep themm coolers clean and maintained and the dirt issue at startup will be to a minimum!

Oops, post number five was too soon!!

I'm alright, I start a new job this Monday. Not sure how that's gonna work out with my already having a job, sub contract per piece of equipment, as this new one is full time and hourly and it includes appliances such is in maintenance of 450+ Subway restaurants, margarita machines and whatnot.

Eh, enough about me, not trying to jack this thread. Thanks for the info, 1mastertech.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #7

swamp cooler

Thank u..I will try this
doreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Experienced

swamp cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
evaporatiove cooling? Isn't that the same as the normal latent heat of evaporation which takes place in an evaporator coil during a normal call for cool in an hvac system?

liquid refrigerant enters evaporator coil through metering device and begins saturation or evaporation..? I guess my question is what's the difference in ph, az concerning evaporative cooling from normal evaporative cooling in air conditioning systems here in Houston or anywhere? Just wondering.

The difference is, evap cooling drives the temp on the wet bulb line, and cooling through refrigeration drives the temp across the drybulb line.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

swamp cooler

Thanks. The only thing that is not making sense is that with and in a refrigerant system, the refrigerant evaporates (boils) so why call the water system evaporative and not the refrigerant?

It is the exact same principle, right?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Experienced

swamp cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Thanks. The only thing that is not making sense is that with and in a refrigerant system, the refrigerant evaporates (boils) so why call the water system evaporative and not the refrigerant?

It is the exact same principle, right?
The refrigrerant system is closed loop (direct expanding) while the water system achieves the temperature reduction through water evaporation, the latter increases relative humidity while reducing temperature.

Edit- Evap cooling (swamp cooling) efficiency is reduced as the ambient RH is increased.

Last edited by Jackofall1; 03-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

swamp cooler

So the water cooling (swamp) is not a closed loop? Can I ask how does that work? The water is not contained in a line?

Thanks, I've never even seen one of those before.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #12

swamp cooler

Ok Doc How ya doing this aM.iM GETTING READY TO TRY AND CATCH UP.iF YOUR IN hOUSTON THEY PROBABLY DONT HAVE COOLERS BECAUSE TH r.h. IS HIGH.ooPS SORRY CAPS. The system is using water as a means to cool.When the water evaporates thats whenit gets the cooliung effect.If the R.H. is high they dont work very well.The principle is just like a cooling tower.The common ones here are mastercool with a single celsius pad.The cooler is a box with a front opening where the pad goes.the pad sits in a frame and is what they call a wet section.below the pad theres a basin that holds a predetermined amount of water that is controled by a float.when the level gets a certain depth the float shuts the water off.Sitting inside this basuin is a pump that pushes water to the top of the pad and allows water to drain over the top of this pad and it trickles down the pad to saturate it.all the while this is going on theres a blower motor thats running at most common 4500cfm0r 55 or 6500 cfm pumping this air into your home.Its all good as long as outside humidity is low.Your house will cool but its a different kind of cooling wet feeling sometimes.Does this help!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Experienced

swamp cooler

Look at a psyc chart, as you add humidity to air, you reduce its temperature, the system pumps water from a pan through a saturated media, air passes through the media, as the air increases in RH its temperature is decreased.

I guess you could say that it is a form of closed loop, but you have to add water to the pan as it is evaporated, you also have to dump the water in the pan at regular intervals as the hardness is increased from the constant evaporation.

The system was originally developed (modern day) for use in chicken coupes.

Mark
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry

swamp cooler

Thanks guys, I think I got it.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

swamp cooler

It's actually a pretty neat design with the open chamber, so not so much a closed loop as in contained in a line set, that the water gathers/drips down on the vertical cooling pads and then the cooler air is streamed into the space. I can see why it's used in very dry locations. Yup, Houston has a lot of humidity, we try and remove it, not add to it.

Thanks guys for taking the time, something learned today!