Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Super Hot Boiler - zone problem

Seems like every year I have problems with this boiler. Now when the thermostat kicks on the zone control board does not light up even though the light on the zone panel above the boiler lights up. How can I fix this without calling a plumber? Is this an actuator problem? What is the temp and pressure supposed to be (I have a single story 2500 sq/ft house)
How do I know for sure that hot water is flowing into the pipes, I know the tile gets warm but is there another way?

jromero816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by jromero816 View Post
Seems like every year I have problems with this boiler. Now when the thermostat kicks on the zone control board does not light up even though the light on the zone panel above the boiler lights up. How can I fix this without calling a plumber? Is this an actuator problem? What is the temp and pressure supposed to be (I have a single story 2500 sq/ft house)
How do I know for sure that hot water is flowing into the pipes, I know the tile gets warm but is there another way?
Post pics.

Touch the return pipe after it has been running a while. If the return pipe is warm or hot. Then hot water must be flowing.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #3

First turn up the T-stat and if you have Honeywell zone valves, move the the lever on the zone valve to the manual postion and keep it there, we need to ensure flow so the boiler doesn't dance. Then jumper ES1 & ES2 on the zone control board without disconnecting anything. If the boiler fires up, replace the zone valve. Try that first.
GotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #4

Question

I have the same problem. I can hear the motor try to open the valve and there is no resistance to my trying to move the "open manual" lever. The circulation pump goes on, but that zone gets no heat. Could the valve not be open, even though it appears from the outside, to be ?
billeickmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #5

Yes it is possible that a small black rubber ball has slid off of it's perch within the brass body of the zone valve. If there is no resistance on the manual lever and the pump begins to circulate then that means that the zone valve is working fine electrically but perhaps not mechanically. You could buy a new zone valve and simply replace the guts of the old one with the new (if its the same manufacturer like Honeywell) just be mindful of how it came apart. The new zone valves come with a separate base plate to which the actuator mounts on to but its all still the same. How is your pressure? between 10-18 PSI? Have you checked for air at all baseboards on that zone? Does the boiler fire?
GotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #6

The pressure is about 15, the boiler fires, and all other zones are working fine. I will try a new complete valve next. Bill

billeickmann is offline   Reply With Quote