Sump Heater Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sump Heater Problem

The sump heater on my Trane XL1200 has shorted to the compressor case. This same thing happened about 11 years ago and I fixed it by replacing the sump heater and the discharge line thermostat. I'm thinking about replacing this unit soon. I disconnected the sump heater to get the condensing unit running again. Was wondering if it will cause any damage to operate it without the heater. The thermostat in series with the heater closes at 73F and opens at 105F. Since it's hot outside I was thinking it won't do any harm to run it like this for a while.
Am I thinking correctly?
Thanks.

Advertisement

kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,530

Sump Heater Problem

If your going to replace it before next spring. Run it without.

If you want to use it next year. Replace it.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Master HVAC Technician

Rewards Points: 10

Sump Heater Problem

Sump heaters are sometimes an afterthought /quick fix by the manufacturer. Usually due to an undersized or lack of an accumulator on the suction side of the compressor. The concern is that refrigerant will migrate and pool in liquid form at the suction port. When the unit starts, it runs the risk of trying to pump liquid refrigerant, possibly causing compressor damage.
I have seen many units that have run for years without it because no-one ever noticed that it went bad. I'm not sure if the risk is all that great by not replacing it, but remember that Trane supplied it, and it cost $, so someone told them it was a necessity.
Rusty999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,530

Sump Heater Problem

Trane uses a CCH on many of their straight A/C units. Simply because the compressor stores a lot of oil. The more oil a compressor holds. The better chance the liquid refrigerant will migrate to it. And be washed out when the compressor starts again.

On their Climatuff compressors in heat pumps without an accumulator, the accumulator is in/part of the compressor.

Scroll compressors often don't "need" a CCH, because they don't hold as much oil as a recip does.
But, in the install instructions. They will tell you to add one, if the line set length and coil match up requires more then X amount of additional refrigerant for a full charge.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Sump Heater Problem

Thanks guys for your input. This unit is a heat pump with the Climatuff compressor. It is running just fine right now while it's warm/hot outside and no strange noises from the compressor when it starts up. I'm waiting on an estimate from a local dealer to replace the unit with another Trane, probably the XL15i. If the new unit is too pricey I will order the sump heater and discharge line thermostat and repair the unit just like I did 11 years ago. The unit is 18 years old now so I'm thinking of bitting the bullet and getting a new one while there are some rebates/tax credits in play.
This is a great forum and thanks again for your input.
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote