Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

SummertimeNo AC Blues

I have a problem. My central Air Unit Died last year October and needs to be replaced, I don't have the money to do that I have a portable (14000 btu) Standing AC unit my brother let me borrowed. The problem is outside is now starting to be in the 90s in Florida and that unit can't even cool down the living room I also have 3 ceiling fans running and the house temp is at 88F.

Is there any way I can help keep the house cooler for summertime? I thought about a window ac but all my windows are vertical.

spawn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 130

SummertimeNo AC Blues

Moved to HVAC forum.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #3

SummertimeNo AC Blues

In Florida? Other than fans (a poor alternative), find a way to fix the A/C that fits your budget. You don't say what the diagnosis is, but assuming it's the compressor:

1. Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? Just because one guy condemns your system doesn't mean he's right (or honest).

2. Have you considered financing the repairs/replacement or borrowing the money from a bank, family member or friend?

3. Have you tried to find a used condenser of the same tonnage that you could pick up cheaply and have installed (understanding that the equip. may not have warranty)?

Other than that, hibernate in a small room with all the comforts and devices you need and the 14000 btu unit. Make sure that the condenser exhaust to outside is well sealed and insulated (hose and wall penetration) with whatever works to minimize heat infiltration.

Cover the inside of the door by tacking up a blanket. This will not only help keep the cool air in the room while your in it, but also act as a barrier when you leave the room for whatever (shower, etc.). Use the space between the door and the blanket as a "chamber" when you leave (closing door behind you) to minimize heat influx. Place towels under doors and wherever heat might enter. Hang blankets over the windows. Keep lighting to a minimum. Make sure the filters are clean.

Whatever you can do to increase cooling efficiency and reduce the heat load, do it.

You have my sympathies. Florida is no place to be without A/C this time of year.

Last edited by rightit; 05-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.
rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #4

SummertimeNo AC Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post
In Florida? Other than fans (a poor alternative), find a way to fix the A/C that fits your budget. You don't say what the diagnosis is, but assuming it's the compressor:

1. Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? Just because one guy condemns your system doesn't mean he's right (or honest).

2. Have you considered financing the repairs/replacement or borrowing the money from a bank, family member or friend?

3. Have you tried to find a used condenser of the same tonnage that you could pick up cheaply and have installed (understanding that the equip. may not have warranty)?

Other than that, hibernate in a small room with all the comforts and devices you need and the 14000 btu unit. Make sure that the condenser exhaust to outside is well sealed and insulated (hose and wall penetration) with whatever works to minimize heat infiltration.

Cover the inside of the door by tacking up a blanket. This will not only help keep the cool air in the room while your in it, but also act as a barrier when you leave the room for whatever (shower, etc.). Use the space between the door and the blanket as a "chamber" when you leave (closing door behind you) to minimize heat influx. Place towels under doors and wherever heat might enter. Hang blankets over the windows. Keep lighting to a minimum. Make sure the filters are clean.

Whatever you can do to increase cooling efficiency and reduce the heat load, do it.

You have my sympathies. Florida is no place to be without A/C this time of year.
Thank you for replying.
Yes I've received several diagnosis the unit inside the house needs to be replace the unit is over 21yrs old so I think it had a very good run.

I thought about getting a used unit ($500 inside and out unit) but wouldn't need a license permit for someone to install it?
spawn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #5

SummertimeNo AC Blues

It matters on what city/county you are in. But frankly, I think alot of contractors who work solo , will probably not bother pulling a permit. Whatever system you get , try to get it with 410a freon. Because the cost of r-22 is crazy now! You know you would be surprised the cost of a new system these days. If you just get a 13 seer unit and probably like rightit is saying finance it. It maybe not that bad. Your right we in florida can't live without AC. Also one suggestion I can give you, see if you can find your local vocational school that has hvac courses. Go speak to the instructor of the course and maybe he can send out some of his students to help you out. You can pay them something and plus they are gaining experience also in the real world. You can also find old-stock new unit on craigslist also. May want to look in to that. Only thing is those units will most likely not have any kinda of warranty. If you do get it done from a licensed contractor, which ever brand you choose to have installed will most likely come with 10 yr warranty on parts. Just keep that in mind.

Last edited by kilosos2; 05-06-2012 at 04:49 AM.
kilosos2 is offline   Reply With Quote