Suction And Liquid Valves - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Suction and liquid valves

What could make a suction valve and liquid valve for a newly installed York AC start to leak. I mean less than 2yrs. I had freon added two months ago and freon is low again. i am confused. HVAC repair is asking for $450 to replace these valves. Is it worth it? This is my first experince with York HVAC and but not impress with all kinds of problems lately. Please i need your advise.

Advertisement

banky29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Is it still under warranty??

$450 to replace both service valves doesn't sound un-reasonable...but I've never had to replace them.

There are hundreds of places freon could leak, but you asked about the valves. The valves themselves are field welded to the lines that run into the house. Could be leaking there. They also have a port for the gauges to hookup to. Inside that port is a 'Schrader Valve'. Same thing a car tire uses. If it's loose, or has dirt on it's seat, it could leak. There is a cap that keeps dirt out of it, just like a car tire. If it's missing and the valve's leaking a bit...well...it's a leak. Make sure that caps are on.

Next is the service valves caps. Each valve has a hexagonal brass cap...one is larger than the other. They need to be there. Under those caps are the main service valves. If they are backed out too far they can leak. When a condenser is installed, the pipes are welded (of course, a source of leakage if not welded completely), the gauges are hooked up to read pressures, the service valves are opened to release the freon out of the compressor and into the piping. There is a stop ring...the valve should be opened to that stop ring then closed a bit so the valve isn't actually resting on the stop ring. Then the cap should be put back on snugly. After the gauges are removed, the caps should be put back on the ports. Those 4 caps act as a backup should the valves leak a small bit.

Again, there are hundreds of feet of tubing in a typical AC system and a leak could be anywhere. Being only 2 yrs old, I would suspect the valves or the field welds from installation (including inside the house). If there is enough pressure in the system, bubble test, or liquid soap with a little water mixed, can be put on the joints to look for leaks. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

It is very unusual for service valves to leak, unless they have been abused or manufactured incorrectly.

Write down your model and serial number of the condensor, and visit the York residential website, and see if there has been a recall or service bulletin related to service valves. If not, most valves have a seal on the isolation stem that can be damaged by excessive heat during instalation.

Next most common failure is the shreader fitting seal, that can also be compromised by excessive heat during instalation, or not removing it while brazing the line set.

Most shreader valves are also the most common excuse for refrigerant loss. "The schreader was leaking so I tightened it up"...wish I had a dime for every time I have heard that.

If there is a leak it needs to be located and repaired. While your on the York website, see if your unit is still under warranty. $450.00 is worth putting up a fight over.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The AC is still under warranty. I am bit surprise when the technician said the suction service valve is leaking. Because the AC is under warranty, the $450 is for Recovery of Freon and putting a new freon when the new suction valve is install. What is the difference between the suction service valve and liquid line valve? I don't understand all the techinical words they are using when discussing with technician. Do you suggest I get a second opinion on this leak?
banky29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 622

banky29, get a second opinion and get a qualified tech to find the leak. Like SD515 and 8 Ball said schraeder valves, unless abused or improperly installed are not the cause of a leak. I would also be very leery about a company wanting to charge me $450.00 for recovery and new freon, for a covered warranteed part. I'd contact York to see what their warrantee policy is for this required part of the service.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

when brazing the connection to the valve area to much heat to the valve is the most often reason. the main valves when opened up at system install need to be tightend with a wrench as well as the caps to insure if the ruber seals fail the caps will keep the refrigerant in the system.not just hand tighten.if it is a vary smalll leak thread sealant would due the trick. large leaks need valve replacement
coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

the two ends of the system should of come in pressurized out of the box.so the connections outside and the inside are locked down with compression nuts that would be your first points to check.spray bottle with dish soap mixed and spray them good while its running...if you see oil residue anywhere on the liquid line or insulated suction line the full lenghts...thats a leak.if the two shipped main items should of been positive before pipe up,the service guys might of cooked the packings spray them with the caps off and check those shradders.if you have an access to the evaporator do a spray job on the bends and the tubing connections not visable from the outside. on the A coil(unit off)

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote